Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Thunderbird vs Evolution email

Thunderbird all the way

Beans

Question Re: Thunderbird vs Evolution email

yeah... I agree to most of the comments here...
    I'd strongly say that thunderbird stays a lot higher comparing to evolution, and i mean it. But i'll let you into something that might sound strange... I've almost never used evolution. The reason? Because i tried, and i tried so hard to set up an email account with it, that i simply had to give up and discard it as a program. I've had used thunderbird before, seamonkey, mozilla suite, they're all the same regarding the email client; very easy to use, very easy to set up, very easy to migrate, very easy to export and import between them or other mail clients. It just isn't the case with evolution. There was no import anything from an existing mail client in my ubuntu... i simply had to try to set it up from the very start; but i just couldn't!!! For some reasons, i did evrything perfectly right, still, evolution wouldn't connect at all to my mail server.
    I tried with yahoo and this email provider: www.gawab.com. It's the easiest email account you can set up after gmail, but with gmail, most email clients are pre set up to accept settings by default and go automatically all the way to the end if you only know your email address and password.
    To be completely fair, i only wanted to use evolution because it comes integrated with ubuntu. This is the only reason that pushed me to try it. But the headaches to set it up, pushed me further away from it. I simply don't care at all if it has some calendar or address book... completely useless features for me... an email client that actually did work, sent or received email, that is the most important thing you'd expect from a mail client.
    Now it comes to another concern of mine... the buzzkill with all this myriads of programs that do the same thing! An immense choice opportunity... this is way, way more than internet needs. Just as it comes up to ubuntu per se, tons of programs that do the same thing and most of them do nothing you'd need them to do.
    I mean, "Empathy" for a start... what is the need for a program like that? it is the time when it's extremely harder to find a laptop without an integrated webcam, no matter what, webcams have been around fashionably for some 10 good years (a lot lot more, but let's say 10), what is the need for a program like "Empathy" when you can't have a videocall or make use of a webcam??? The tragic thing is that it comes perfectly integrated with karmic, just as pidgeon used to be with jaunty... none of them supports a webcam. This is just a shame and a waste. Now to avoid all misunderstandings, i like them as programs for what thy do, but they're simply useless for the time we live in. They impoverish Ubuntu or other linux systems.
    If this were a kind of competition between operating systems, i could understand why Windows beats linux almost and always in every aspect.
    Why should someone have second thoughts after trying Ubuntu/migrating from windows? I just can't understand the titanic work the ubuntu guys do to keep up with it, and they fail just for some simple but indispensable features; like the features of communicating between platforms and systems. Understandably, it has been impossible to send a picture from pidgin to windows live messenger, or receive one; the same with amsn, emmesene, and i will just have to wait to see what empathy can do...
    till now, i've had second thoughts even because i couldn't fix a simple device on top of my laptop screen called a webcam, that ubuntu feels so spiteful about. Obviously i almost came to the conclusion that unless you're a programmer yourself, linux systems are as friendly as the number of times ubuntu would ask you for a password, although you've logged in a thousand times and although you are the only administrator, even a better administrator and more alive than "root" or "sudo" or "gksu".
    Anyway, for friendliness, better usability, better robustness, simplicity, i would choose thunderbird over evolution one thousand times.

scouser73 is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Wink Re: Thunderbird vs Evolution email

I've never used Evolution since I made the switch to Ubuntu, but here's why I think Thunderbird is the est email client.

Thunderbird 3 beta 4 now has tabs, yes I'm talking about a beta release which I know many people won't use as a primary client. I like the fact you can have addons for it (I'm unsure if this is possible with Evolution) and also themes.

In my opinion I think Thunderbird should be the default email client for it's overall ease of use and appearance to the eye.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by zotrules View Post
    ...Obviously i almost came to the conclusion that unless you're a programmer yourself, linux systems are as friendly as the number of times ubuntu would ask you for a password, although you've logged in a thousand times and although you are the only administrator, even a better administrator and more alive than "root" or "sudo" or "gksu".
    Anyway, for friendliness, better usability, better robustness, simplicity, i would choose thunderbird over evolution one thousand times.
    This happens in Vista and 7. The reason in Ubuntu/Linux is if there was ever a virus to get in ubuntu (not likely though) you would have something randomally ask for a pass. Also to me it serves as a warning to me it says "You are about to change something that could impact the usablility of your system if you would like to continue please type your pass and press enter"

On Topic: I dont know which I would choose probally Evolution as its preloaded for a reason and one of them is its intergrated in Gnome. For those who have a groupwise account it also has that capability (I forgot does tb have this?)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Smile Re: Thunderbird vs Evolution email

Quote Originally Posted by scouser73 View Post
    I've never used Evolution since I made the switch to Ubuntu, but here's why I think Thunderbird is the est email client.

Thunderbird 3 beta 4 now has tabs, yes I'm talking about a beta release which I know many people won't use as a primary client. I like the fact you can have addons for it (I'm unsure if this is possible with Evolution) and also themes.

In my opinion I think Thunderbird should be the default email client for it's overall ease of use and appearance to the eye.
    You have a really good point and should be considered by the OP

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RJ12 View Post
    This happens in Vista and 7. The reason in Ubuntu/Linux is if there was ever a virus to get in ubuntu (not likely though) you would have something randomally ask for a pass. Also to me it serves as a warning to me it says "You are about to change something that could impact the usablility of your system if you would like to continue please type your pass and press enter"
    Fortunately, or unfortunately,- take it as you please, it doesn't happen in 7 anymore. That deadly annoyance ended with vista. While 7 recognizes the user privileges as you log into the system. I've used it for a couple of days now, and it not only looks great, it behaves great too. I am not against security, but that should be more up to the user to decide whether he/she can take it and face the same refrain over and over again every day, a thousand times a day... There's no practical option or user-iterfaced module in Ubuntu (karmic) so far to get you to this process. So, unless you're a programmer and have time to waste to rake within forums in the internet, then Ubuntu IS NOT the environment you'd like to have for everyday use. It has lost a lot of friendly features and customizability. Just as what happened to me yesterday; thought to give a try to xubuntu environment... so I installed the environment... somehow, i lost a lot of features from the gnome environment. And even now, after i uninstalled xubuntu environment, i simply can't get them back. It certainly wasn't as much the case with jaunty as it is with karmic.
    Now, i know, it is a free operating system, and i think the job done is marvellous. I don't reproach almost nothing at all, but certainly, i choose to write because i think it can get better, and it can get a lot lot better. there's plenty of room for improvement, and comments like mine should be considered in this angle only.
    Just go and visit the bugs site... almost all of them state "resolved" and "patch available in the repositories"... but nothing comes around as such. So, we are facing some serious problems here.
    Nevertheless, i stand firm on what i've said in my previous comment.

Beans

I'm using Thunderbird for years and really appreciate it, but as I've just installed Karmic from scratch, I've decided to give Evolution a chance. However Evolution is a good email-client and has a better Ubuntu integration (GNOME, Ubuntu One, etc), I've switched back to Thunderbird after a couple of days. I was missing following features.
    - Ability to have separate folders (Incoming, sent, etc) for each email account.
    - Keep a copy of the email on the POP3-server BUT delete if if you delete it in the client

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I have been unable to get Thunderbird working with Karmic due to problems outlined here https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...bs/+bug/431091. I have been unable to get Evolution working either - unable send mail via SMTP.

Beans

Wink Re: Thunderbird vs Evolution email

Quote Originally Posted by finno View Post
    I have been unable to get Thunderbird working with Karmic due to problems outlined here https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...bs/+bug/431091. I have been unable to get Evolution working either - unable send mail via SMTP.
    Why not try to reinstall karmic? I suppose some missing repos could have already been included in the main release. Still, like i said before, from intrepid or jaunty, karmic is a wholesome downgrade, it is exactly what i didn't expect, although, the same lovely.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 8.04 Hardy Heron

Arrow Re: Thunderbird vs Evolution email

Hi trixman,

I personally recommend Thunderbird for your friend. It's a cross platform email client that once your familiar with, can be used on virtually any popular OS. Imports and exports emails easily. It's highly customizable with add-ons just as the Firefox browser is. Emails can be encrypted via OpenPGP through the use of Enigmail-(point-n-click setup of certificates etc.once installed). Each email account you setup has it's own folders so there's never any confusion regarding which email is from which account. The filtering capabilities for searching through your emails are superior to any other client I've tried-(and I've tried a few of 'em). It has tagging via categories and custom colors making emails easy to ID for various quick searches of tagged individual emails or email groups.

If you need calendar scheduling and To-Do lists, Lightning offers the option of publishing either to an on-line schedule server or marking them private-(amongst other categories of choice), with custom categories and one time or multiple/repeating reminders. Thunderbird also allows you to create custom named folders/directories under the local folder tree with sub folders to organize and categorize your saved/archived emails. I could go on forever about the features and customization abilities of Thunderbird that no other email client offers or compares with.

The Lightening add-on linked above offers a sidebar to list your events and/or To-Do lists with mouse-over pop-ups showing your notes relative to each entry, as well as full page views. Buttons to access each full page view are placed at the bottom of the folder sidebar by default when installed for easy quick one click access between emails, scheduled events/calendar, and your To-Do list. All this and more right in your email client where it's most handy. Completely customizable to your liking. You can toggle the Lightening sidebar on or off just as you can the folder/account sidebar.

You also have three built-in window views of your choice to define how you prefer your Thunderbird GUI layout-(>View >Layout >(classic | wide | vertical). Incoming emails can be threaded if you choose so you can keep an ongoing conversation and all it's responses together... and so much more.

Once you customize and familiarize yourself with Thunderbird, you won't ever want to use anything else simply because nothing else compares! After you use and become familiar with Thunderbird, using any other email client will make you appreciate what it does, and can do, that no other email client can. Use Thunderbird and don't look back. As I stated above, I could go on forever about the features and benefits of Thunderbird, but have her try it and I'm sure she'll like it.

I personally couldn't live without Thunderbird and would be so frustrated using anything else after missing all the features and custom tools/add-ons. No other email client allows you to customize it to your needs like Thunderbird -- hands down. Thunderbird can go with you no matter where you go regarding OS choice, so you'll always be familiar with it and never again have to learn another email client simply because it happens to be built-in to the OS of choice.

That's my 2¢! Hope I've helped make the decision easy and persuaded you and your friend to use Thunderbird. You won't regret it IMO.

Regards,
    Visible Spirit
    "Not everything that can be counted counts, ... and not everything that counts can be counted."
    1879 ~Albert Einstein~ 1955

Ubuntu user #23155 ______________ Linux user #475466

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast