Thread: Change notify-osd steps? (for volume and brightness)

Beans

Question Change notify-osd steps? (for volume and brightness)

Hi everyone...

Is there any way to change the steps (increment/decrement) from the new notification system in Jaunty (notify-osd)???

What I want is to have the ability to change the volume and brightness in smaller steps, because the defaults seems bigger to me.

PS: I've searched for any string in gconf-editor, into Google and this forums, but I can't find any solution...

Thanks.
    gFa

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Change notify-osd steps? (for volume and brightness)

Quote Originally Posted by gfa View Post
    Hi everyone...

Is there any way to change the steps (increment/decrement) from the new notification system in Jaunty (notify-osd)???
    Yo!

Gnome->Configuration Editor(gconf-editor)->/apps/gnome_settings_daemon/volume_step

Gnome->Configuration Editor->/apps/compiz/plugins/obs/screen0/options/brightness_step (dunno if that'll do that for ya, I don't have brightness control)

Daniel

Beans

Exclamation Re: Change notify-osd steps? (for volume and brightness)

Btw anyone else think the volume scale is a bit off (thus making the mentioned steps needing yet another correction from somewhere)?
    It's like halfing the volume downs the audio about 4 times (perceptually).
    Compared for eg. to what the totem player would do if you half it's volume (it adjusts the volume correctly)

As if the algorithmic attenuation is being applied twice in total along the audio pipeline!

Beans

Re: Change notify-osd steps? (for volume and brightness)

Quote Originally Posted by therendus View Post
    Yo!

Gnome->Configuration Editor(gconf-editor)->/apps/gnome_settings_daemon/volume_step

Gnome->Configuration Editor->/apps/compiz/plugins/obs/screen0/options/brightness_step (dunno if that'll do that for ya, I don't have brightness control)

Daniel
    Thanks!!! The setting for volume control worked perfect the one for brightness didn't because right now i'm not using compiz i suppose

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Change notify-osd steps? (for volume and brightness)

Quote Originally Posted by gfa View Post
    Thanks!!! The setting for volume control worked perfect the one for brightness didn't because right now i'm not using compiz i suppose
    Nice !
    You might have luck trying (for whatever you're running):

• Open Configuration Editor (GConf)
    • Find [Ctrl-F]
    • Enter _step
    • Go