Thread: windows share mounting issues (fstab to Vista, security)

Beans

windows share mounting issues (fstab to Vista, security)

After following the excellent how-to's on this topic outlined by dmizer (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1169149) to create a Permanant Mount of a windows share I was still stuck...

Despite a bunch of work on my Vista machine (e.g. enabling file sharing, enabling file/print sharing on the laptop firewall, etc), AND a bunch of work on the linux box (e.g. installing smbfs, crafting fstab, etc) I was unable to successfully mount a share from my work laptop to my linux machine (running jaunty), even though I could easily mount similar shares from my XP machine also on my network. Yes, I checked the password carefully, blah blah - but that wasn't it.

Given the uselessness of the linux error messages I was getting (from CIFS), I then tried to map the share as a drive from my XP machine, and was confronted with repeated password challenges that would never go through. Then, I discovered this link:
    http://thinkabdul.com/2007/03/11/tip...os-x-or-linux/

Thanks Abdul!

This pages shows how to revise an obscure setting on the Vista laptop that prevented successful shares, even though it otherwise appeared to be setup correctly in Vista. Basically, what this setting does is enable a "well known authentication method" (per the tips author), that was disabled by default in Windows Vista. Note, this change requires Administrator access on the Vista machine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: windows share mounting issues (fstab to Vista, security)

Interesting! Thanks for sharing that. It's the type of thing where you can tear your hair out for days on end and get nowhere.