Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Setting up the Compiz Cube

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Setting up the Compiz Cube

hopefully the OP got the Compiz Fusion Icon working, because I was having a similar problem, and my solution was this:

right click the icon, go to Compiz Options, and UNmark the checkbox for Indirect Rendering.
    Everything is back now, except for my separate desktop images, which i can normally set up in a minute

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by KinKiac View Post
    EDIT: Ok so you have the ATI 2100, 1 question, is this integrated video or and expansion video card? Ive searched google for it and I get a few hits that say ATI 2100 "integrated". If so this may be your problem.

Thats what I think as well but I dont know how to fix it. Incidentally I have slow and/or badly running 3D graphics in general (e.g in FlightGear or Torcs - both barely playable)

Ive looked for up-to-date ATI 2100 drivers on the manufacturers website but there arent any.

Is there another location or maybe another driver for a similar ATI card (which one) that may resolve this.

Also, when I talked about the zoom issue I meant that there still is no cube (Ctrl+Alt+Down Arrow). I see a row of the four desktops and can scroll them left and right. Holding down the left mouse button doesnt do anything (unless I enable 3D windows in CCSM, then the desktops disappear and only the selected window is movable).

If I just hold down Ctrl+Alt and then left or right arrow I get a cube-spin effect when moving me to the adjacent desktop left or right.

If anyone could solve the ATI driver/OpenGL/3D display issue that would be great. I think that will get the cube (and other things) working.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by atngplusultra View Post
    hopefully the OP got the Compiz Fusion Icon working, because I was having a similar problem, and my solution was this:

right click the icon, go to Compiz Options, and UNmark the checkbox for Indirect Rendering.
    Everything is back now, except for my separate desktop images, which i can normally set up in a minute

Doesnt work. I cant right-click the icon and get 'Compiz Options'. Is there anywhere in the Compiz Settings Manager where I can turn Indirect Rendering off?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

hopefully you found this page:

http://wiki.compiz-fusion.org/Troubleshooting

wherein it says:
    If you are using an ATI card, Compiz Fusion requires at least a Radeon 7000 (or M6). From the 7000 to the X1050, you can use AIGLX with the open source ati driver. All X1xxx series cards and the Xpress 200(M) must use the proprietary fglrx driver. Using driver version >= 8.3 (gentoo 8.4.XXX) is recommended as AIGLX is available as of 8.3. If you decide to use older fglrx drivers, you're stuck with Xgl.
    I'd follow any official suggestions from that site.

Beans
    Distro

It didnt work.

I think its a graphics card vs Linux driver issue. A driver update for my ATI 2100 with the installation of the Catalyst Control Center plus xorg will only cause the graphics to become corrupted and causes this problem:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1156640

...which took a while to repair.

I advise anyone with an ATI 2100 not to try and 'upgrade' like I did.

At the moment I cant see any other solution than getting a different (better supported) graphics card.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123