Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help please!!!!!!!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Red face Help please!!!!!!!!!

I am frantic, I was installing updates and apparently my computer stalled, so my my husband turned it off. Now it will not start up again. I keep getting the message that "Ubuntu is running in low graphics mode, you may need to update your configuration to solve this" then it has a list of errors. After this message appears I can't do anything with the computer, the cursor doesn't move and the mouse is frozen so I have to turn it off and start it up again only to get the same message loop over and over again. I am freaking out because I have some important information and pictures on the computer that I haven't backed up yet! What can I do? HELP!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Help please!!!!!!!!!

please dont use title saying "Help Please", give a description of the problem so other who know of it can help and people with the same issue can use your post as a guide to fix if possible.

Boot into recovery mode press escape during boot to go to GRUB and choose a recovery mode of the first kernel. choose to boot to prompt, sign in then run this command

Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
    if it says an error let us know

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

recovery mode is a good bet. just reboot, and right after the bios page (before anything ubuntu comes up), you should see a message to "press esc to enter grub menu". do so.
    then select the option for your current kernel's "Recovery mode"
    once you get to a command prompt, use the command lowsky posted. then reboot with
    Code:
    sudo reboot
    after that, hopefully all will be well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Out typed!
    Last edited by mapes12; August 10th, 2009 at 09:40 PM.
    Keep Ubuntu free! Donate any amount you like – just use the PayPal donation address donations@ubuntu.com

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by LowSky View Post
    please dont use title saying "Help Please", give a description of the problem so other who know of it can help and people with the same issue can use your post as a guide to fix if possible.

Boot into recovery mode press escape during boot to go to GRUB and choose a recovery mode of the first kernel. choose to boot to prompt, sign in then run this command

Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
    if it says an error let us know

I tried it and got the same thing, as soon as the page with the prompt starts scrolling, the screen blinks on and off and then I get the same error message.This is what the list of errors say:

(EE)GARTInit: Unable to open/dev/agpgart (No such file or directory)
    (EE)[drm]drmOpen failed.
    (EE)intel(0): [dri]DRIScreenInit failed. Disabling DRI. VideoRAM set too low?
    (EE)Intel(0): Failed to allocate framebuffer. Is your VideoRAM set too low?
    (EE)Intel(0): Couldn't allow video memory

Beans

first step, step back, grab a coffee/tea/smoke whatever and relax for 15 minutes.

second, boot up the live cd and start moving things over to a thumbdrive while repeating the mantra "I will make backups"

third. reboot the computer again, select recovery mode and use the xfix option to see if it can restore xorg and allow you to boot.

I'm hoping this will work and put a smile on your face at the same time to try and relieve the stress.
    Debian Testing(64bit) + XFCE4 AM2 5200+ ATI Radeon HD4350, 4gig RAM,320Gig and 750gig HDs

what's the difference between an answer and a solution? An answer is what they want to hear, a solution is what they don't want to hear

Beans
    Distro

Sorry, I am a real beginner, and the last person trying to help me chewed me out for not being up with the new "millenium" but you have to start somewhere right? If someone has the patience with me then I can learn. Okay...How can I type in a command if the systyem keeps blinking on and off. I can reboot, select the recovery, then while it is running through all the commands it begins to blink and I goes to the error message before I can type anything...does that make sense?

Beans
    Distro

Tried it and got an error again...computer won't stop blinking on and off while rebooting...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

while repeating the mantra "I will make backups"
    Something that should be a Ubu screensaver by default =D>
    Keep Ubuntu free! Donate any amount you like – just use the PayPal donation address donations@ubuntu.com

Beans

You might be better off loading your livecd and using it to access your hard drive and copy your personal files to a usb flash drive and then reloading ubuntu on your hard drive.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast