Thread: firefox 3.5 (shiretoko) javascript issues

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

firefox 3.5 (shiretoko) javascript issues

I think I'm having problems with javascript in shiretoko firefox 3.5 whatever. I was trying to attach something to an email in Hotmail, and when I clicked the attach button, nothing happened. I clicked many, many times and yelled many profanities at the screen, but still nothing happened.

This could possibly be my fault however. When I installed shiretoko and got comfortable with it I wanted it to be the only firefox, so I deleted the symlink to firefox 3.0 in /usr/bin and replaced it with a symlink to firefox 3.5 that was named firefox, so now when I or any program like pidgin try to access a web page, it will be deferred to firefox 3.5 (one firefox to rule them all).

I'm not sure what implications that might have but I felt it was worth mentioning. Can anyone suggest a way to get this working again? I'm looking for another site to test out my javascript functionality so I'll post back if it turns out to be just Hotmail.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: firefox 3.5 (shiretoko) javascript issues

bumping, still haven't fixed this. Still haven't found another site that uses a lot of javascript to test it out on, but I deleted my .mozilla folder to fix another problem and that problem was fixed but I still can't attach files in Hotmail. I had no problem doing this under windows.

I would really appreciate a suggestion or something.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I got smart and typed 'test javascript' into google and I do not have javascript. I checked in preferences, and according to a little box next to 'enable javascript' I do indeed have javascript enabled.

So what the hell?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by v1nsai View Post
    I got smart and typed 'test javascript' into google and I do not have javascript. I checked in preferences, and according to a little box next to 'enable javascript' I do indeed have javascript enabled.

So what the hell?
    Some web sites check your browser version and will not work properly with new browsers like Shiretoko because they haven't changed their own code yet (eBay for one when selling items, for instance).

Contact this website and tell them you are having problems.
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I recommend installing the new Firefox using the Ubuntuzilla: Mozilla Software Installer which should keep it and you up to date. http://tombuntu.com/ has written a good article on this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

That absolutely ROCKS thanks a million John. The main site I was having trouble with was Hotmail, I couldn't get it to let me put an attachment in an email because clicking the Attach button didn't do anything. This fixed it. Awesome, thank you!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Hi.

I don't know if this is of any help but ui am experiencing the exact same issue (i.e. the javascript on Hotmail behaving very erratically) yet for me it happens on a Windows-Computer with Firefox 3.5.

Usually if javascript gets stuck refreshing the page helps in my case.

No such issue in Ubuntu by the way, using Swiftfox 3.5.

Kind regards.....

Thanh
    BULLDOZER !