Thread: Gnome apparently freezes

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Gnome apparently freezes

Hey Guys,

I have a very strange Problem and I hop some of you can help me to solve this. My system apparently freezes. Apparently because what I see is only a still image of my actual desktop, the mouse however is still fully functional and the system too. It reacts on clicks, pressed keys and so on, I only don't see what I am doing. When I switch through the applications via tab key I can actually see what is happening on my desktop in real time (as it should be) but this only lasts a few seconds, but context menus are not visible at all. This seems to happen randomly and without warning at any imaginable situation: web surfing (flash animations), 3D applications, videos, simple editor and so on. After restarting the session with alt+print+k everything works fine again.

What I can definitely exclude is that my graphic accelerator card has a defect. I am compelled to use windows on another partition of the same machine and there everything works perfectly fine.

Any Ideas how to solve this? It is really annoying.

I use a Dell Inspiron 9400 Royal (C2D 7200, 4GB RAM, Geforce Go 7900GS) with the latest Ubuntu 9.04 x64 Version.

Beans
    Distro
    Edubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Gnome apparently freezes

I have what seems to me the very same problem. Apparently this has to do with the Java virtual machine or the Java run time environment, because the situation arises when some application launches Java. In my case, I discovered it when starting Mozilla Firefox. Firefox froze, then I killed it and then a small display announcing that "Java VM is loading" lasted for ages, until I also killed it. Now, the situation also arose when I started Netbeans, which again launches Java VM. I don't know how to solve the problem yet. Maybe installing a new version of Java will solve the problem.