Thread: Routine check of drive

Beans

Routine check of drive

i got a problem. when i boot my notebook, ubuntu wants to run a routine disk check.

It shows:

Routine check of drives: /dev/sdb1

58% (stage 1/5, 1929/2316)

then everything is frozen, i cant esc. out of it. i must hold power till it shuts down. What is it cecking.. the 1929 is that files? folders? blocks, sectors what? i think the drive might have bad sectors on it, but they are at the end. i have also looked for a partion manager to chance the partition but i cant find one installed.

cann anyone help?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Routine check of drive

Partition manager: GParted it's in the repo's.

You can disable the automatic checking of drives in fstab, at the end of your fstab entry you'll see a number, usually 2 for non root partitions, change it to 0.

You can also manage automatic disk checking with: AutoFsck which gives you the option of checking your drives at shutdown rather than at startup.

Beans

thanks for the reply and info, is 0 for boot partitions? because this is my boot drive, i am using an usb external sata drive to run ubuntu. maybe i should have mentioned that.
    Last edited by AmerNewbieInDE; August 10th, 2009 at 06:18 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

If /dev/sdb1 is your boot partition you should leave auto disk checking enabled, just manage when it occurs using AutoFsck.

Beans

well, i got gparted.. am i not allowed to change the partition size??every command is greyed out