Thread: How do I allow giver through the UFW?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Question How do I allow giver through the UFW?

Hi.
    How do I allow giver through the UFW?
    I tried
    Code:
    sudo ufw allow giver
    but it doesnt take that statement.

I can just disable the firewall to allow the use of giver but that is hardly practical.
    1st Distro used (live CD): Knoppix in early 2007 ¦ 1st Distro Installed: Ubuntu 7.10 in Feb 2008
    GNU/Linux User #470660 – Ubuntu User #28226
    Isaac Asimov: "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: How do I allow giver through the UFW?

Try installing gufw. You can then configure the firewall via GUI by going to System > Administration > Firewall.

You may have to figure out exactly what ports (or port range) that giver uses, and open them rather than trying to open the service as a name.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Question Re: How do I allow giver through the UFW?

Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    Try installing gufw. You can then configure the firewall via GUI by going to System > Administration > Firewall.

You may have to figure out exactly what ports (or port range) that giver uses, and open them rather than trying to open the service as a name.
    Thanks. But how do I find out the port number(s) of giver? I know for example that ssh is port number 22 but there doesn't seem to be any documentation on giver port numbers.
    1st Distro used (live CD): Knoppix in early 2007 ¦ 1st Distro Installed: Ubuntu 7.10 in Feb 2008

Beans
    Distro

I don't know. I've never used it. But, I bet they would know here: #giver on irc.gnome.org

I do have a few questions though.
    1) Are you sure you need the UFW enabled? If your computer is behind a firewalled router, there's no need to duplicate effort by having UFW installed. In this case, UFW isn't really offering you more protection than you already have, it's only inhibiting LAN traffic.
    2) Do you need the UFW enabled because you have a direct connection to the internet? If you need UFW because you have a direct connection to the internet (no firewalled router), then you probably shouldn't be punching holes in it for giver as giver isn't really designed to be used across the internet. You should be using an encrypted protocol like sftp, ftps, or sshfs.
    Last edited by dmizer; August 10th, 2009 at 12:31 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I don't know. I've never used it. But, I bet they would know here: #giver on irc.gnome.org

I do have a few questions though.
    1) Are you sure you need the UFW enabled? If your computer is behind a firewalled router, there's no need to duplicate effort by having UFW installed. In this case, UFW isn't really offering you more protection than you already have, it's only inhibiting LAN traffic.
    2) Do you need the UFW enabled because you have a direct connection to the internet? If you need UFW because you have a direct connection to the internet (no firewalled router), then you probably shouldn't be punching holes in it for giver as giver isn't really designed to be used across the internet. You should be using an encrypted protocol like sftp, ftps, or sshfs.
    Thanks for the tips dmizer. Attached please find a screen shot of my router firewall settings. I presume so that the router is providing enough security?

I like to get to know as much about the UFW as possible because someday I may need to use it as my primary firewall.

Cheers.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Rytron View Post
    Thanks for the tips dmizer. Attached please find a screen shot of my router firewall settings. I presume so that the router is providing enough security?
    That looks fine to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rytron View Post
    I like to get to know as much about the UFW as possible because someday I may need to use it as my primary firewall.
    If you wanted to set up you own Linux gateway, there are much better methods than UFW. Something like: Untangle, Clarkconnect, and Shorewall (there are many more) are purpose built releases and will do the job much better and more easily. They can also easily run in a virtual machine on your main box with little to no overhead.

In my opinion, UFW is good for laptops which are sometimes used to connect to insecure/untrusted access points. However, I highly suggest that you form your own opinion as well.
    Last edited by dmizer; August 10th, 2009 at 01:37 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Post Re: How do I allow giver through the UFW?

That looks fine to me.

If you wanted to set up you own Linux gateway, there are much better methods than UFW. Something like: Untangle, Clarkconnect, and Shorewall (there are many more) are purpose built releases and will do the job much better and more easily. They can also easily run in a virtual machine on your main box with little to no overhead.

In my opinion, UFW is good for laptops which are sometimes used to connect to insecure/untrusted access points. However, I highly suggest that you form your own opinion as well.
    Thanks. I will check out Untangle, Clarkconnect, and Shorewall. Thats a good point about Laptops using the UFW when connecting to other internet sources besides your own home internet.