Thread: How to autostart samba daemon?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

How to autostart samba daemon?

Hi,

Using Ubuntu 9.04 x64. I could install and configure samba following various tutorials found by internet seaches. However, each time I reboot the computer, the samba dsamon is stopped. I have to run manually the command below to get it working
    sudo /etc/init.d/samba restart
    Is it samba standard design? How can I make samba start automatically at each reboot?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: How to autostart samba daemon?

A forum search should reveal a good number of posts regarding this. Such as the following: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=151004

Beans
    Distro

System > Administration > Services:

The Folder Sharing Service (samba) is checked. And yet I still need to start it manually.

Beans

You can set the default runlevels to start the Samba script at boot with the following command:

Code:
    sudo update-rc.d samba start 20 2 3 4 5 . stop 19 0 1 6 .
    If for some reason Samba still does not want to start you can change the script boot order so Samba will start later:

First issue this command:

Code:
    sudo update-rc.d -f samba remove
    Then follow with the modified boot order runlevels:

Code:
    sudo update-rc.d samba start 40 2 3 4 5 . stop 19 0 1 6 .
    You can change the boot order to a higher number if needed, all the way up to 99. Type "man update-rc.d" at the prompt for more information. Also look in the directory /etc/rc2.d for a better understanding of boot script ordering.
    For those new to Ubuntu most of your answers can be found at help.ubuntu.com or ubuntuguide.org

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by UranUtan View Post
    System > Administration > Services:

The Folder Sharing Service (samba) is checked. And yet I still need to start it manually.
    I'm running 9.10, and I don't see Services in the Administration menu anymore... where did it go?

Beans

I was able to use the cmdline + init scripts steps described above to get samba auto-starting, but I'm still curious as to if it's just my system or if the "Services" view disappeared in Karmic / GNOME 2.28. I know I remember seeing and using it in previous versions.

Beans
    Distro

Still using Ubuntu 9.04 x64. Some how the instructions in post #4 don't work for me. I have tried a few combinations. The last one was
    Code:
    sudo update-rc.d -f samba remove
    sudo update-rc.d samba start 60 2 3 4 5 . stop 40 0 1 6
    After log in If I type
    Code:
    smbclient -L MyComputerName.local -U%
    I always get an error Connection to MyComputerName.local failed (Error NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_REFUSED)

The only solution is to type manually sudo /etc/init.d/samba restart after I log in. Could that be because there is something wrong in smb.conf?
    Last edited by UranUtan; January 29th, 2010 at 05:58 AM.