View Poll Results: What has been your experience with Automatix?

Voters
426. You may not vote on this poll
  • I've used it and have had no problems with it. It's great!

222 52.11%
  • I've used it and have run into problems, but I'm not sure if they're Automatix-related.

31 7.28%
  • I've used it, run into Automatix-related problems, and let Arnieboy know.

7 1.64%
  • I've used it, run into Automatix-related problems, but I haven't let Arnieboy know.

31 7.28%
  • I haven't used it because I think it's unsafe.

39 9.15%
  • I haven't used it because I prefer to install things manually or use another method.

78 18.31%
  • I haven't used it because I have no idea what it is.

4 0.94%
  • Other. (Please explain)

14 3.29%
Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: What has been your Automatix experience?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Intrepid Ibex (testing)

Re: What has been your Automatix experience?

It helps new people much, but if it does certain things it has to warn in front that it does it that way.

I have pointed some users to the app, but i don't use it anymore because i like to have control and i like to learn to change sources.list. But as said it could be handy for new users.

Have read also the 2 threads and think the author of the apps has a problem to get critics.

edit.

BTW i hate it when it overwrite my sources.list. But used it only a few times when i was wet behind the ears. Funny to see that there are more votes then posts.
    Last edited by awakatanka; January 30th, 2006 at 09:00 PM.

Beans

I haven't used Automatix as I prefer to install things manually, know what's happening and know how to uninstall. For a fast fresh install I'd rather keep a list of packages to install and run apt-get with that list.

I wouldn't recommend Automatix to newbies either as it contains some relevant bugs that arnieboy seems reluctant to fix. The "--force-yes" and "killall zenity" issues in the recent thread in my opinion demonstrate quite foolish programming practice. Also, arnieboy's childish attitude reflects poorly on Automatix. If you can't trust the author, you'd need to read the entire source to be able to trust the application.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by macgyver2
    Even if that were the case, to justify someone firing attack after attack at several users by saying those users attacked first is not right. I thought the rule is no personal attacks, not no personal attacks unless you are attacked first (then feel free to give 'em hell).
    No one was justifying his attacks. I said he got too emtional and took things too far. I am also saying I have witnessed Arnie being personally attacked for creating Automatix. Both sides are wrong when it comes to personal attacks. Arnie could stand to learn to take criticism a little better even if he disagrees. This does not change the fact that he created a great program that has helped many newbies and people who are just too busy to configure everything for themselves. Much of the criticism that has been lodge towards Automatix was not valid. There have been some instances where the criticism was valid but much of the time it was meant to attack Automatix without no real input on how to make it better.
    Manually installing software and setting up your system is always preferable. However, there is not one thing wrong with using Automatix for getting it done the easy way. Get Automatix2 Support Here

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Malphas
    It's a shame the author has to behave in such an unpleasant manner on the forums.
    And it's a shame that often Linus acts like a di*k on mailing lists. But that does not keep me from using Linux, just like any of Arnie's posts should not keep me from using Automatix (I'm not saying Arnie is a ****, just trying to prove a point).

For the record I think Automatix is THE thing that makes Ubuntu the easiest free distro to use. Great stuff.

Plus I think its another great example (along with the forums, backports, the doc site, etc.) where an element of Unofficial Ubuntu has broken through the puritan ideal of Ubuntu to create a compromise within the distro community between the "Debian/RMS way" and "Just works."
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I have voted I haven't used it because I prefer to install things manually or use another method.

Because I like to manually doing my stuff. But I think it's a really good that there's automatix for those who won't.

5 thumbs up for automatix!
    elementary OS Luna
    My Screenshot

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by poofyhairguy
    And it's a shame that often Linus acts like a di*k on mailing lists. But that does not keep me from using Linux, just like any of Arnie's posts should not keep me from using Automatix (I'm not saying Arnie is a ****, just trying to prove a point).

For the record I think Automatix is THE thing that makes Ubuntu the easiest free distro to use. Great stuff.

Plus I think its another great example (along with the forums, backports, the doc site, etc.) where an element of Unofficial Ubuntu has broken through the puritan ideal of Ubuntu to create a compromise within the distro community between the "Debian/RMS way" and "Just works."
    poofyhairguy that is the perfect responce, said much better than I could.
    Edward A Robinson -- www.earobinson.org

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Speaking of Arnieboy, I havnt seen him around the forums in awhile.

Beans

hes looking at this thread right now
    Edward A Robinson -- www.earobinson.org

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by earobinson
    poofyhairguy that is the perfect responce, said much better than I could.
    Thanks, this is something I care about a lot.
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by earobinson
    hes looking at this thread right now
    xequence*, arnieboy, Artificial Intelligence, poofyhairguy, Sheinar, Spacecaptain

Good observation

Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast