View Poll Results: What has been your experience with Automatix?

Voters
426. You may not vote on this poll
  • I've used it and have had no problems with it. It's great!

222 52.11%
  • I've used it and have run into problems, but I'm not sure if they're Automatix-related.

31 7.28%
  • I've used it, run into Automatix-related problems, and let Arnieboy know.

7 1.64%
  • I've used it, run into Automatix-related problems, but I haven't let Arnieboy know.

31 7.28%
  • I haven't used it because I think it's unsafe.

39 9.15%
  • I haven't used it because I prefer to install things manually or use another method.

78 18.31%
  • I haven't used it because I have no idea what it is.

4 0.94%
  • Other. (Please explain)

14 3.29%
Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: What has been your Automatix experience?

Beans

Re: What has been your Automatix experience?

Quote Originally Posted by macgyver2
    If one is to use that convoluted line of thinking, then I'll just point out that there's also a long history of kings being overthrown, usually for acting like total jackasses.
    Sure. If you think that is the case here then act upon it. Go to the CC. Ask others to change their behavior. Show the world you are right. Change the status quo.

Because if you (and those who are really concerned about this) don't then no one will.

The 3rd-party forums have no such marking. There's no banner that states that those entering the 3rd-party section are entering little monarchies and that they should beware of floods of personal attacks. Further, it is not correct to say that posts which violate forum policy are moved to the jail because there's a whole forum of posts which violate policy that are still sitting in the 3rd-party forum...unless they don't violate policy anymore after being scrubbed to make the "king" look better...I haven't checked recently.?
    This is not the place to resolve this issue, but thanks for pointing out that we need clearer disclaimers on the forum.

Yes, just like anyone else...except those that have been banned from these forums in the past. The "flawed human" excuse didn't work too well for them, did it?
    Often it did. The staff here has given more second and third and forth chances than you can imagine. But since many never contributed again we had no good reason to give them the last chance before they were gone.
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by poofyhairguy
    I agree and I promise recent events will force more clarity into how we seperate these things. Staff is trying to work out the best way to make such things clear.

Trust me.
    I do trust you. But, man, it's been going on for months. Is there any chance it will be worked out to everyone's satisfaction (well, you know what I mean) before the next CC meeting, or should I add it to the February 7 agenda?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by ardchoille
    I'd post in detail what we did, along with the finished product, but...
    It's GPLed. You don't have to post it in the Automatix forum if you don't want to. If you post it to an Official forum then Arnie can't jump all over you without repercussions.

If you still decide not to post it publicly, would you mind sharing it privately (knowing of the possibility that someone else might post it, 'cause of the GPL)?

edit: Why is it I never notice my spelling errors until after they're quoted? Reprecussions. Sheesh.
    Last edited by Galoot; February 1st, 2006 at 03:33 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Galoot
    It's GPLed. You don't have to post it in the Automatix forum if you don't want to. If you post it to an Official forum then Arnie can't jump all over you without reprecussions.

If you still decide not to post it publicly, would you mind sharing it privately (knowing of the possibility that someone else might post it, 'cause of the GPL)?
    I second that, nothing worse than not publishing code, or if you want email it to some one, or make a new account and post it with that in a week.

LET THE PEOPLE SEE THE CODE

ps great job poofyhairguy I think you are doing a good job of pulling something good out of this debate.
    Edward A Robinson -- www.earobinson.org

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Great. This has turned into an Arnie bash. Can't you people just let go? Or do I not have a say because someone will call me a fanboy, and say that gives me no voice?

This thread is called

Code:
    Not

Code:
    Re; What has been your Arnieboy experience?
    Got something useful to say, to be helpful, fine. Post it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I deliberately tried to remain as neutral as possible in my original post and in the poll options. I don't want this to turn into an Automatix fanboy or Arnieboy-bashing thread. If I were still a mod, I'd excise all of the inappropriate posts in here and put them in a separate thread in the Backyard...

Well, I'll leave it up to the current mods, I guess.

arnieboy Guest

Automatix updated to version 5.1

New features in version 5.1 :
    a) --force-yes flag removed
    b) killall zenity bug fixed
    c) realplayer 10 installation added

Hope this puts to ease the critics of automatix.

arnieboy Guest

In future, please be gracious when submitting a bug report.
    I am the last person who would not want automatix to improve.

-Arnie

Beans

Thank you again Arnieboy.
    Manually installing software and setting up your system is always preferable. However, there is not one thing wrong with using Automatix for getting it done the easy way. Get Automatix2 Support Here

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by arnieboy
    New features in version 5.1 :
    a) --force-yes flag removed
    b) killall zenity bug fixed
    c) realplayer 10 installation added[/B]
    It just gets better.
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast