Thread: Gimp Doesn't Work!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Gimp Doesn't Work!

Hey, I've always had problems with Gimp (usually fill bucket never worked), but now I can't draw with a paintbrush or pencil, use gradients, fill, or type text. Nothing shows up, and there isn't even an undo option for the actions I try to perform (except adding text, which shows up as a layer, but is not visible).

I tried reinstalling Gimp and that hasn't helped.

This is so annoying!

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Gimp Doesn't Work!

I had problems with gimp once and resolved it by doing a complete uninstall and reinstall.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by AndrooUK View Post
    Hey, I've always had problems with Gimp (usually fill bucket never worked), but now I can't draw with a paintbrush or pencil, use gradients, fill, or type text. Nothing shows up, and there isn't even an undo option for the actions I try to perform (except adding text, which shows up as a layer, but is not visible).

I tried reinstalling Gimp and that hasn't helped.

This is so annoying!

Any suggestions? Thanks!
    Does this happen when you create a new image, or when you are editing existing image? If it happens when editing an image make sure the image is set to RGB mode (Image->Mode->RGB). Most tools can't be used in indexed color mode.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by mcduck View Post
    Does this happen when you create a new image, or when you are editing existing image? If it happens when editing an image make sure the image is set to RGB mode (Image->Mode->RGB). Most tools can't be used in indexed color mode.
    This happens for new images and when editing images. I've tried to reinstall Gimp, but this doesn't help.

I'm not sure if an upgrade has broken Gimp, because it used to work fine, most of the time.

The only thing I can think of now is reinstalling Ubuntu, which I'd rather not try.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

This happens for new images and when editing images. I've tried to reinstall Gimp, but this doesn't help.

I'm not sure if an upgrade has broken Gimp, because it used to work fine, most of the time.

The only thing I can think of now is reinstalling Ubuntu, which I'd rather not try.
    Have you tried removing Gimp's configuration files? (reinstalling Gimp doesn't remove your personal configuration files, located in ~/.gimp-2.6).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Talking Re: Gimp Doesn't Work!

Quote Originally Posted by mcduck View Post
    Have you tried removing Gimp's configuration files? (reinstalling Gimp doesn't remove your personal configuration files, located in ~/.gimp-2.6).
    Oh hey, it works great now. Funny, when I told it to completely remove Gimp (and its configuration files) they were still there!

Thank you very much!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Oh hey, it works great now. Funny, when I told it to completely remove Gimp (and its configuration files) they were still there!

Thank you very much!
    The "complete remove"-option will only remove system-wide configuration files. The package manager will never, ever touch files in user's home directories. They belong to the user.

Anyway, great that this solved the problem.

Beans

Thanks!
    This fixed the same issues with my Gimp install.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The approach described above worked for me. On Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, all up to date, using Synaptic to completely remove gimp, gimp-data, and gimp libraries, and manually removing ~/.gimp-2.6, and then using the Ubuntu Software Store to install Gimp and Xsane again, worked.