Thread: Squid proxy, allow game servers (World of Warcraft, etcetc)

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Squid proxy, allow game servers (World of Warcraft, etcetc)

Hey all,

I've setup my home gateway machine to be a proxy server with squid, and basically it is setup like this:
    ((INTERNET)) <--PPPOE Cable Modem over Ethernet (Eth1)--> [[[SERVER]]] <-- (ETH0, DNS/DHCP/Squid basically internal network) --> SWITCH --> REST OF PC's

It's working perfectly, all the PCs have IP Addresses via DHCP, they all have Internet Access when setup properly in Firefox/IE (I have a proxy configuration URL in network settings to make things easier) and everyone can access the internet with no problems.

The only issue is that I can't figure out how to allow users on the network to play games online such as World of Warcraft, Warcraft 3, etcetc. I have a full port list, i've tried a few things with IPTables but I can't figure it out.

Should I switch to a transparent proxy? I'm not sure if this is what I want, as I read that SSL doesn't work over transparent proxies (as I need to access netbanking, which is SSL, tax office which is SSL, and countless other sites that support SSL).

Help would be appreciated as I am sitting here scratching my head and my family are starting to get a little annoyed that they can't play their MMO's.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Squid proxy, allow game servers (World of Warcraft, etcetc)

Are you running NAT on the Server? IT should be sufficient for WOW.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Squid proxy, allow game servers (World of Warcraft, etcetc)

Quote Originally Posted by green91 View Post
    Are you running NAT on the Server? IT should be sufficient for WOW.
    Hmm.. I'll try. Will the users be able bypass squid? Or should I set it transparently?