Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Set up your Brother 2030/70 Laser printer

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Set up your Brother 2030/70 Laser printer

Quote Originally Posted by phux View Post
    It just wont work well with gnome (default printing works, but no settings possible)

I installed my HL-2030 on a Kubuntu 5.10 and Ubuntu 6.06... both worked perfectly, but my Ubuntu 5.10 wont print the way i want. Default printing works, but it simply ignores 2-on-1-page-settings.

After the installation, exactly as written above, the HL2030 appears on Printers, as normal. It can be swtiched to 300 or 600 dpi, driver-list says "HL-2030 for Cups" and everything seems to be correct.
    BUT as written before... it wont react to any settings, but print default style on and on...

*HELP*
    I'm having the same problem, my DCP-315CN ignores my changes to the settings, any clues?

Beans

*bump*

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Set up your Brother Laser printer

Last edited by ajm2005; December 7th, 2008 at 12:06 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Let's see if you can help me, guys, on this.
    I have the same printer but shared from a Windows machine in a small network.
    How can I add it to my Ubuntu box?
    -------------------------------------
    Ubuntu in Spanish is Ubuñtu!
    Running Aspire 9814 AMD64 & Extensa 5620

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

hi alltogether!

i did recently buy an HL-2030 myself and now want to install it/plug in into my ubuntu-machine (edgy eft) as well...
    when i go to "add printer" i do get a recognized printer Brother HL-2030 series. i choose that one.
    next step is to choose the driver. here i do run into "problems" since i can only find an HL-2060 driver. i'm a bit afraid of simply trying it out since i do have quite a problem with my old printer & second pc under ubuntu...

anybody has a clue what/how to do this is edgy?

thanx!

Beans

Hi

You need to tell cups where the .ppd file is.

After following the directions,
    i did a
    Code:
    #sudo updatedb then
    locate 2030 | grep 'ppd'
    That resulted with:
    Code:
    /usr/share/cups/model/HL2030.ppd
    Cut and paste the location of your .ppd file into cups and your good to go.

Now, I have to figure out how to print index cards

Prosonik

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rusyear04 View Post
    hi alltogether!

i did recently buy an HL-2030 myself and now want to install it/plug in into my ubuntu-machine (edgy eft) as well...
    when i go to "add printer" i do get a recognized printer Brother HL-2030 series. i choose that one.
    next step is to choose the driver. here i do run into "problems" since i can only find an HL-2060 driver. i'm a bit afraid of simply trying it out since i do have quite a problem with my old printer & second pc under ubuntu...

anybody has a clue what/how to do this is edgy?

thanx!
    It works perfectly for me with the hl-1250 driver, try choosing that one.

Beans

I just purchased the HL-2030 to replace my dying HL-1450. I installed the native Brother drivers following all instructions on this thread, and while the print quality is beautiful, all pages are printed off-center.

I've been searching for solutions and have been unable to solve this problem. I did install Netpbm in order to make use of the pbmpage command, but running it from a terminal only produces on-screen garbage and sends nothing to the printer. I should note I'm using A4 paper, and I've checked and double-checked all settings for paper size and document page size to ensure everything's set to A4. I've tried printing from various programs including OpenOffice, Kpdf and Adobe Reader 7, all with the same error.

I deleted and reinstalled the printer using the instructions on this thread. A test page sent from CUPS prints perfectly. Still, other programs print pages too far to the right -- which is not the case with my Canon iP4000 from the same machine. This leads me to believe that there's something else in the print chain interfering with the printing.

I'm quite new to Linux and would be very grateful for any assistance.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aef110 View Post
    I just purchased the HL-2030 to replace my dying HL-1450. I installed the native Brother drivers following all instructions on this thread, and while the print quality is beautiful, all pages are printed off-center.

I've been searching for solutions and have been unable to solve this problem. I did install Netpbm in order to make use of the pbmpage command, but running it from a terminal only produces on-screen garbage and sends nothing to the printer. I should note I'm using A4 paper, and I've checked and double-checked all settings for paper size and document page size to ensure everything's set to A4. I've tried printing from various programs including OpenOffice, Kpdf and Adobe Reader 7, all with the same error.

I deleted and reinstalled the printer using the instructions on this thread. A test page sent from CUPS prints perfectly. Still, other programs print pages too far to the right -- which is not the case with my Canon iP4000 from the same machine. This leads me to believe that there's something else in the print chain interfering with the printing.

I'm quite new to Linux and would be very grateful for any assistance.
    I use an HL-2070N over the network and have this same problem. It worked flawlessly in Kubuntu 6.06. I've only had this problem since upgrading to 6.10. I think Brother did update their driver by the time I downloaded it for 6.10... anyone have ideas on a cause or a fix for this?

Thanks.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by A_608 View Post
    Just a note. I had to go into the printer-properties-connection and choose the local printer option for my printer to work.

I'll flesh this out a little because it tool me a while to figure it out until I found the steps in the howto for another printer:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=302960

In the menu go to System Settings, Printers
    If the printer is connected to the same PC then the driver has already been installed and selected
    Select the printer and make it default if required.
    While having the printer selected, click on the Properties tab and select the Interface icon on the right hand side. If the URI: usb:/dev/usb/lp0 shows, this is incorrect. click the Change button, enter your password for administrator mode. Now select Local printer, Next, then Brother MFC-215C and Finish.
    You should now see URI: //Brother/MFC-215C
    Right-click the MFC210C and click “Test Printer”. See if test page is received.

[Just substitute HL-2030 for MFC-215C]

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast