Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Another sound problem (volume and balance)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Another sound problem (volume and balance)

Does anyone know the state of affairs regarding this issue? I've upgraded my Karmic test partition to the beta, and this is still a problem. In fact, it's a show stopper for me. I really want to use Karmic when it's released but only if the volume works properly with LFE channels.
    "Knowledge is power. Who said that?" - Dave Lister

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Bump
    "Knowledge is power. Who said that?" - Dave Lister

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

The bug that some other user linked above is progressing. There is an assignee and it "sounds" (ahah!) like the ppa package works better now.

That said, I am also stunned by the fact canonical is coming out with a version of ubuntu with such a massive bug and that they marked it as "medium priority"...

Beans

Sound bugs are a low priority AFAIAK, they have been present in this form for years.. every upgrade requires a re-hack of ths sound on my system du jour, whether config files, changing the setting in the mixer or downloading a newer better ALSA / Pulse.

I would love sound to be addressed properly but apparently cloud computing is more important to more people.

Sorry to sound so negative about this, but i have posted and contributed to almost all of the "getting sound working in Hardy/Jaunty/gutsy etc etc" threads

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Well you know, sound in computers is so 15 years ago, cloud computing however is the current buzzword. What's most ironic is that sound back in the days of DOS was pretty easy, it was Sound Blaster compatible or you didn't bother. Personally, I'd rather have solid sound than a way to back up 2 gigs of data so I can get to them anywhere. If I want to get to my data somewhere else, I'll sneakernet it, it's more reliable than the cloud, and unfortunately more reliable than ALSA. Besides, USB is more ubiquitous than the network.

Moral of the story: sound is better than servers.
    "If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error." -John Kenneth Galbraith, Economist

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jezjones View Post
    Sound bugs are a low priority AFAIAK, they have been present in this form for years.. every upgrade requires a re-hack of ths sound on my system du jour, whether config files, changing the setting in the mixer or downloading a newer better ALSA / Pulse.

I would love sound to be addressed properly but apparently cloud computing is more important to more people.

Sorry to sound so negative about this, but i have posted and contributed to almost all of the "getting sound working in Hardy/Jaunty/gutsy etc etc" threads
    I hate to say that everything here is true, and at worst at the beginning of this thread we could still call the existence of this bug progress from the previous situation.

Beans

Related bug report I filed some days ago:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...io/+bug/456564

Beans

@SveinT Is it set to Analog Output / No Amplifier in the Output tab of gnome-volume-control? If not, try that.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123