Thread: How to install, say-8.04 Hardy & 9.10 Karmic on same HDD

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

How to install, say-8.04 Hardy & 9.10 Karmic on same HDD

O.K. Noob ?'s here: 1. How to install both Ubuntu 8.04 & 9.10 on same HDD? 2. Can both OS's be as ext4? I thank you all for any & all help! Peace.
    Proverbs 21:2
    Acts 2:38
    Just JC
    Love wins.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How to install, say-8.04 Hardy & 9.10 Karmic on same HDD

You would need 4 partitions. One for 8.04 root folder (/), another one for 9.10 root folder, and then a common home partition. Plus a Swap Partition. Here it is a tutorial of how to perform a normal installation.
    About the Ext4, I don't think that 8.04 implemented the Ext4 file system, 9.10 does. So the 8.04 partition should be ext3 and the 9.10 partition could be ext4 if you like.
    Hope this gets you started.
    "In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?" Having trouble compiling drivers in a different kernel?, Dual Boot Tutorial Ubuntu Hardware Support List

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jualin View Post
    You would need 4 partitions. One for 8.04 root folder (/), another one for 9.10 root folder, and then a common home partition. Plus a Swap Partition. Here it is a tutorial of how to perform a normal installation.
    About the Ext4, I don't think that 8.04 implemented the Ext4 file system, 9.10 does. So the 8.04 partition should be ext3 and the 9.10 partition could be ext4 if you like.
    Hope this gets you started.
    Jualin, I thank you kindly for your advice/help! O.K., question 3-Karmic 9.10 uses GRUB2, will this work with Hardy 8.04, too? Peace
    Just JC
    Love wins.

Beans
    Distro

It should work because the Boot Loader (grub) doesn't have anything to do with the Operating System. For instance Windows doesn't use Grub however Grub works with Windows.
    I would install 8.04 first, creating all necessary partitions (which should leave an empty one for 9.10) and then I would install 9.10 so you use the GRUB2 features. Either way you pick it the grub should not work since it should load the operating system with no problem. Maybe someone else can give you a second opinion about it.
    "In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?" Having trouble compiling drivers in a different kernel?, Dual Boot Tutorial Ubuntu Hardware Support List

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by D1Knight View Post
    Jualin, I thank you kindly for your advice/help! O.K., question 3-Karmic 9.10 uses GRUB2, will this work with Hardy 8.04, too? Peace
    I would be careful about sharing a home partition because /home contains a lot of config files for software. You may run into problems with different versions of software on different releases and/or distros.
    Multi-boot: Arch linux, Ubuntu 12.04, Windows 7 & Windows 8

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jualin View Post
    It should work because the Boot Loader (grub) doesn't have anything to do with the Operating System. For instance Windows doesn't use Grub however Grub works with Windows.
    I would install 8.04 first, creating all necessary partitions (which should leave an empty one for 9.10) and then I would install 9.10 so you use the GRUB2 features. Either way you pick it the grub should not work since it should load the operating system with no problem. Maybe someone else can give you a second opinion about it.
    Jualin, yes I was thinking the same thing-install older Ubuntu 1st, then newest Ubuntu (Should default to last install's Boot Loader, GRUB2). Thanks.
    Just JC
    Love wins.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by presence1960 View Post
    I would be careful about sharing a home partition because /home contains a lot of config files for software. You may run into problems with different versions of software on different releases and/or distros.
    Presence1960, I hear what you are saying. I do prefer each OS has it's own home partition. I thank you much.P
    Just JC
    Love wins.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by D1Knight View Post
    Presence1960, I hear what you are saying. I do prefer each OS has it's own home partition. I thank you much.P
    I agree, it is probably a better idea to do that. Good luck