Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 9.10 Beta won't Install

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

9.10 Beta starts install then returns to using live cd

I put 9.10 on a 11GB partition after the partitioner has finished I get a black screen with some errors I think it was

567 then it continues and the desktop appears then I get a
    0 disk space message and I opened usage analiser and it only shows as 1.3 GB and is completely full then it freezes .

Also Grub has not installed so I have to use Gparted disk to boot windows XP.
    Last edited by Glugglug; October 10th, 2009 at 08:39 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: 9.10 Beta won't Install

I haven't installed using the beta CD yet, but when I installed alpha6 I had problems with the desktop CD. Installing from the alternate CD went smooth.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

During your install how much space did you allocate to Ubuntu. Use the live CD and the gparted application to find the size of the ubuntu partition.
    PC

To get a terminal command to put its output into a file use this format
    {terminal command} > {filename}

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

please give us the output of the following terminal commands:

Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    Code:
    df

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Peter09 View Post
    During your install how much space did you allocate to Ubuntu. Use the live CD and the gparted application to find the size of the ubuntu partition.
    The hard drive is 40 GB XP has 28 GB so after deleting some older Ubuntu partitions I was left with 10.9 GB free space I also left the 800MB swap partition on .

I created a new ext3 partition to put Ubuntu on 10.9 GB and it used the existing swap partition .

I have since installed Mint 5 on the same place sucessfully and the disk usage appears to be exactly double what it should be where as in 9.10 Beta it showed as 1.3 GB.

The gparted screenshot is of the current Mint install but is identical to the Ubuntu setup.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Glugglug; October 8th, 2009 at 09:59 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Your mount point should be "/" as I understand it.
    What is the output of the commands listed above?
    Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (& Windows XP-SP3 for Flight Sim only) - (1) 3.4 G/3G RAM/NVIDIA GT630, 2048VRAM/SB AudigySE Audio (2) 2.9 G/2G RAM/NVIDIA 9500GT,1024VRAM/SB Audio (3) 2.3 G/2G RAM/NVIDIA FX1500M,256VRAM/Sigmatel Audio

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by emarkay View Post
    Your mount point should be "/" as I understand it.
    What is the output of the commands listed above?
    This output is from the current Mint 5 install not the 9.10 Beta.
    Last edited by Glugglug; October 9th, 2009 at 09:16 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If you want help with karmic, stay with karmic. Installing another distro doesn't help your karmic install.

Had you stayed with karmic and given us the output of those requested commands we might have been able to help you. Now we don't have a clue whats going on.
    boot_info_script | AMD64 Athlon X2 Dual-Core - nVidia Geforce 6150 SE - 4GB DDR3

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by VMC View Post
    If you want help with karmic, stay with karmic. Installing another distro doesn't help your karmic install.

Had you stayed with karmic and given us the output of those requested commands we might have been able to help you. Now we don't have a clue whats going on.
    I do understand that and I explained in a post above that I had changed distro to enable me to continue as Karmic was not responding and showing zero space left out of 1.3GB but was actualy on a 10.85 GB partition.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Just tried to install again on a 6 Gb partition it took me through the first part ok keyboard layout time settings partitioning I resized the 10.8 GB Mint partition leaving me a 6 GB partition for Karmic it appeared to be installing but returned to a desktop using the live cd which is probably why the disk space shows 100% full I tried to restart but it just brought up the login screen I tried shutdown and got the login screen .

The only way out was to hit the reset button on the front when it restarted the old Grub was still there with no new O/S listed .

The thumbnail below shows the partition as unallocated but it was shown as sda2 just before I clicked install I also set it as primary ext3 .
    Last edited by Glugglug; October 9th, 2009 at 10:28 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast