Thread: Scanning with Brother Multifunction Centre DCP-135C

Beans

Lightbulb Scanning with Brother Multifunction Centre DCP-135C

I require the scanning capabilities of my Brother DCP-135C on Jaunty (ubuntu 9.04). Hence after some probing, these are the steps to get things going:
    1. Download the scanner driver. The driver may be obtained from Brother at http://solutions.brother.com/linux/e...nload_scn.html. My DCP-135C requires use of the brscan2 driver. Since I was using ubuntu 9.04, I downloaded the 32-bit debian file.
    2. Install the scanner driver. Just double-click the driver. From a geek's perspective, I prefer:
      Code:
      sudo dpkg -i brscan2-0.2.4-4.i386.deb
      This allows me to view the install, and to review it as necessary.
    3. Determine the USB identifer for device.
      Code:
      lsusb
      and locate for the pair of 4-digit alphanumericals XXXX:YYYY for the device. Mine was 04f9:01ce.
    4. Add new rules under udev.
      Code:
      gksudo gedit /lib/udev/rules.d/50-udev-default.rules
      At the end of the document, append these 2 lines of text:
      Code:
      # Brother DCP-135C
      SYSFS{idVendor}=="04f9", SYSFS{idProduct}=="01ce", MODE="0666", GROUP="scanner"
      Note that you will have to rename the description in the first line to describe your machine. idVendor refers to the 4-digit alphanumerals on the left of the colon; idProduct refers to the 4-digit on the right. 0666 indicates superuser mode. The read/write mode of 0664 does NOT work.
    5. Restart udev.
      Code:
      sudo /etc/init.d/udev restart
      Or, restart ubuntu if you must.
    6. Smile, & start scanning. Launch the XSane Image scanning program and scan, scan, scan...

Some unanswered queries. In the udev rules document, there was this comment at the start:
    # do not edit this file, it will be overwritten on update
    I get the hunch that if my scanner breaks after an update, I will have append the 2 lines of codes to udev rules again.

Beans

Re: Scanning with Brother Multifunction Centre DCP-135C

If lsusb command does not show your brother, try

Code:
    sudo lsusb
    Collecting data is only the first step toward wisdom but sharing data is the first step toward community

Beans

I can confirm that this solution works on Ubuntu 10.10 also.
    Collecting data is only the first step toward wisdom but sharing data is the first step toward community

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I had just got this working in 10.10 .... thanks.

But now for some stupid reason I decided to upgrade to 11.04 and now cannot get my dcp-135c scanning.... it is printing ok.

All the steps above seem ok .... and I also tried all the stuff in https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CompileSaneFromSource

But my scanning programmes will not recognise the scanner.

Permissions - in users and groups there is a group for sane but not a group called scanner ... not sure if this is a problem.