Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: HOWTO: Piklab in Ubuntu - an easy way

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: HOWTO: Piklab in Ubuntu - an easy way

Hi all,

I don't know if this thread is still alive or what but it didn't show itself when I did a search of the forums, I found it via google. I have started another thread but no replies forthcoming.

My problem(s) shows itself like this message in Piklab when I try to connect my Pickit2.

Connecting PICkit2 Firmware 1.x on USB Port with device 16F690...
    Firmware version is 2.32.0
    The firmware version (2.32.0) is higher than the version tested with piklab (1.20.0). You may experience problems.
    set Vdd = 5 V and Vpp = 12 V
    USB Port: Error receiving data (ep=0x81 res=-110) (err=could not get bound driver: No data available).

The Pickit2 itself shows the green Power light and that is all.
    The Pickit2 was bought last week and I have never used one of these micros before. It came with a small demo board with 16f690 on board, 4 leds, switch and pot.

I have installed the microchip software that came with it on an XP webbook and the little leds started flashing. The Target light on the Pickit2 was also on.

So it works fine in XP.

Any suggestions please?.

regards,

brawd
    brawd.
    The Elderly Technician.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Well just to answer myself for the sake of any other hopefuls that come along.

I had to give up on Piklab.

I was running Lucid 64 bit when I started on this and then added in the KDE stuff. Still nothing doing.
    I wiped the hard drive completely using Hiren's boot disc and installed i386 just in case Piklab was 32 bit and still nothing.
    I've made up a new group in Users and Groups called microchip and added myself into that. Nope
    I've searched the depositories - as they are the recommended place to download from - and failed to find Libusb which seems to be necessary to Piklab.
    I've followed links from Ubuntu forums where I copy and paste into different files to see if that helps, but it doesn't.
    I've installed pk2cdm, which turned out to be a command line programmer (I think) and for the life of me I won't use that. (The command line is where I came from in the days before windows and I intend going forward not back).
    I scoured the web - or at least I googled - in search of a setup for Pickit2 but failed.

So that's my experience, no luck whatsoever because Piklab won't communicate with my Pickit 2.

But there's no way I'm going back to windows, I'll just install MPlab on my wife's little webbook and use that until someone, somewhere, sometime sorts out this little problem.

I might build a serial port burner, but I don't know. There isn't much future in doing the burning through the serial port it's not readily available anymore.

I'll still keep an eye on the forums and the Microchip site, you never know!

regards,

brawd
    brawd.
    The Elderly Technician.

Beans

I did once manage to get my picklab to program a dspic30F4000 using an Olimex compatible ICD2. I found that it was vital in that case, that the dsPic was running with a VCC of 5Volts. Initially my board was running at 4.5 volts, and the dsPic got locked up. I had to erase it with a power supply of 5Volts, and then when I re-programmed it I was successful.

This would have been under ubuntu10.04.

In general, there seem to be a very small number of people trying to get a development architecture working under Ubuntu for Microchip. Just getting the C30 compiler working alone, seem to be very difficult.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

cheap hardware....LOTS of it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Thanks rtalcott,

been there, did that, no joy!

I've been hearing about MPLabX from microchip which (some say) works on most systems including Linux - which I take to mean Ubuntu. I haven't found a free download, not even on their own site, or anywhere else but I'll keep going.

regards,
    brawd.
    The Elderly Technician.

Beans

I got this error while installing piklab.
    piklab: error while loading shared libraries: libktexteditor.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    how to solve this?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234