Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why aren't there more Netbook Remix themes?

Beans

Question Why aren't there more Netbook Remix themes?

I've asked this question on Launchpad and also brought this topic up with more than a few theme artists, but why aren't there more themes for Netbook Remix? There are tons of GTK themes out there and they work just fine with UNR, but they also look as ugly as sin when used with Maximus. If you go to a site like GNOME Look, out of hundreds and hundreds of themes you won't find more than maybe a half dozen that are made for netbooks or have netbook versions. There is a pretty good tutorial here: Writing Themes for Ubuntu Netbook Remix , and I've fixed a few themes using these tips myself, but with the preponderence of netbooks (1 in 5 notebooks sold in 2008 were netbooks, and could make up as much as 20% of all computer sales this year) why is there such a dearth of themes for UNR? It honestly seems to me that it wouldn't be that hard to release a Netbook Remix version of a theme alongside the regular version. UNR is my primary OS (and I suspect that it also the case with many other netbook users, or at least the ones on these forums) on which I do about 90% of all of my computing tasks, and I suppose I'm just a bit frustrated by the lack of choices out there. Hopefully when Karmic is released there will at least be Netbook Remix versions of the community themes available in the repositories.

I will certainly continue to beat this drum throughout the Ubuntu community where the people who can actually do something about it can see it, but at the moment I just felt the need to vent. Thanks to those of you who took the time to read this.
    Registered Linux user #39144

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Why aren't there more Netbook Remix themes?

Quote Originally Posted by Katalog View Post
    I've asked this question on Launchpad and also brought this topic up with more than a few theme artists, but why aren't there more themes for Netbook Remix? There are tons of GTK themes out there and they work just fine with UNR, but they also look as ugly as sin when used with Maximus. If you go to a site like GNOME Look, out of hundreds and hundreds of themes you won't find more than maybe a half dozen that are made for netbooks or have netbook versions. There is a pretty good tutorial here: Writing Themes for Ubuntu Netbook Remix , and I've fixed a few themes using these tips myself, but with the preponderence of netbooks (1 in 5 notebooks sold in 2008 were netbooks, and could make up as much as 20% of all computer sales this year) why is there such a dearth of themes for UNR? It honestly seems to me that it wouldn't be that hard to release a Netbook Remix version of a theme alongside the regular version. UNR is my primary OS (and I suspect that it also the case with many other netbook users, or at least the ones on these forums) on which I do about 90% of all of my computing tasks, and I suppose I'm just a bit frustrated by the lack of choices out there. Hopefully when Karmic is released there will at least be Netbook Remix versions of the community themes available in the repositories.

I will certainly continue to beat this drum throughout the Ubuntu community where the people who can actually do something about it can see it, but at the moment I just felt the need to vent. Thanks to those of you who took the time to read this.
    Hi there. Thanks for making noise on this issue! I'm a new netbook-remix user myself, I just installed it on an older laptop for my daughter, and I'd really like to find some brighter, more kid-friendly themes for it. The default human-netbook is quite classy looking, but it's also very dark. Since the netbooks (which I'm not using, but still...) are perfect machines for kids due to their size, a "kid theme" would really be useful.

You mentioned fixing up a few themes: would you mind starting a thread or maybe using this one for starting a list of themes that DO look good on UNR? That way there's at least be one place to go to for information. A wiki or something would of course be the best. What did you find that works ok?

Beans

Seriously, I can't possibly be the only one that cares about this issuse(well, aside from BatPenguin, who posted at almost the same time I wrote this), perhaps I just put in the wrong part of the forums? Dont' want to end up in trouble for cross posting, but I guess a guy has to do what he has to do.
    Last edited by Katalog; August 8th, 2009 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Spelling (again)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BatPenguin View Post
    Hi there. Thanks for making noise on this issue! I'm a new netbook-remix user myself, I just installed it on an older laptop for my daughter, and I'd really like to find some brighter, more kid-friendly themes for it. The default human-netbook is quite classy looking, but it's also very dark. Since the netbooks (which I'm not using, but still...) are perfect machines for kids due to their size, a "kid theme" would really be useful.

You mentioned fixing up a few themes: would you mind starting a thread or maybe using this one for starting a list of themes that DO look good on UNR? That way there's at least be one place to go to for information. A wiki or something would of course be the best. What did you find that works ok?
    Sure I'll link to them. Shouldn't be hard since they aren't very many . There are some that look excellent, and as I have said I am beating the drum over on the brainstorm web site, I dare say this almost feels like discrimination seeing as how XFCE and Fluxbox/Openbox user have their own dediciated site for themes and here we are stirring around looking for scraps among the GNOME gtk themes, hoping against hope that the person that made that beautiful theme was kind enought to think about us too. Anyway, outside the default Human Netbook, so far here is what I know exists:

UNR Specific Themes

Warmth

Shiki Netbook Colors
    Dust Netbook
    DarkRoom Netbook
    BiMetallicoUNR

and there are a few GTK themes that are not specifically for UNR, but made specifically for use on netbooks and other small screened computers:

Compact themes

Gillet
    Human Skin Semi-Compact
    Small enough for a Netbook, Fit for All!
    Dust-Macchiato Semicompact
    Google-Gnome (not really that netbook friendly, but works OK)
    Aurora Mini

And that's it. That's what your'e left with. Not much of a selection, is it, especially for Netbook Remix specific themes? And the only reason the UNR versions of Dust and DarkRoom exist is because somebody wanted a UNR version bad enough that they took the time to make it themselves. And if you search GNOME Look using the term "compact", you'll find a few other small themes as well, but still, it's the themes that are made specifically to work with UNR (tab integration, etc.) that I would like to see more of.

I've extracted tentative promises from the authors of the Karmic Impression and New Wave themes to make a UNR version, but I'm honestly not holding my breath. I was really surprised the Warmth author was as kind as he was about making a UNR version of the theme after asking about it. He's one of those you should really support if you can. But anyway, here it is and if anyone would like to add to it please let me know and I'll be happy to edit the list.
    Last edited by Katalog; August 8th, 2009 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Spelling. added a few more compact themes

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Katalog View Post
    Sure I'll link to a them. Shouldn't be hard since they aren't very many . There are some that look excellent, and as I have said I am beating the drum over on the brainstorm web site, I dare say this almost feels like discrimination seeing as how XFCE and Fluxbox/Openbox user have their own dediciated site for themes and here we are stirring around looking for scraps among the GNOME gtk themes, hoping against hope that the person that made that beautiful theme was kind enought to think about us too. Anyway, outside the default Human Netbook, so far here is what I know exsts:

Warmth

Shiki Netbook Colors
    Dust Netbook
    DarkRoom Netbook
    and there is a GTK theme that is not specifically for UNR, but was made specifically for use on netbooks and other small screened computer:
    Gillet

And that's it. That's what your'e left with. Not much of a selection, is it? And the only reason the UNR versions of Dust and DarkRoom exist is because somebody wanted a UNR version bad enough that they took the time to make it themselves.

I've extracted tentative promises from the authors of the Karmic Impression and New Wave themes to make a UNR version, but I'm honestly not holding my breath. I was really surprised the Warmth author was as kind as he was about making a UNR version of the theme after asking about it. He's one of those you should really support if you can. But anyway, here it is and if anyone would like to add to it please let me know and I'll be happy to edit the list.
    Thanks for this list! Looks like that Gillet might be closest to what I'm looking for, seems bright. And yes, the selection really isn't that large now, I totally agree.

However, UNR has only been out for what, two releases now? Something like that. So I think it's fair to assume that it's still pretty unknown among people who do themes. So I suppose the best one can do is to do exactly what you've done: contact the people making themes and ask for netbook versions. So thanks for that. I'm sure we'll see more themes in the future.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BatPenguin View Post
    However, UNR has only been out for what, two releases now? Something like that. So I think it's fair to assume that it's still pretty unknown among people who do themes. So I suppose the best one can do is to do exactly what you've done: contact the people making themes and ask for netbook versions. So thanks for that. I'm sure we'll see more themes in the future.
    Yes, it only has been out for two releases, but when you think about it, that is almost an entire year, more than enough time for theme developers to pay more attention to it. And with the previously stated numbers in my OP and Karmic's stated intention to place more focus on netbooks, I think it's high time that the netbook interface get some more attention as well.

Just mt two cents.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Most likely theme developers simply don't want to create themes they can't test themselves, and only limited amounts of people actually run Netbook Remix.

I know I'd never publish a theme I haven't tested myself.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mcduck View Post
    Most likely theme developers simply don't want to create themes they can't test themselves, and only limited amounts of people actually run Netbook Remix.

I know I'd never publish a theme I haven't tested myself.
    That is a somewhat valid point, but in this day and age when people are able to run several Operating Systems in the VM of their choice, that excuse really doesn't hold much water. For example, I requested a UNR version of a theme from a developer who doesn't run UNR either. He does not own a netbook and neither does he run UNR in a VM. He was still able to produce a UNR version of the theme. As long as you're able to follow the guidelines (and it's almost as simple as merely adding a panel.rc file and adding or commenting out a few lines in the gtkrc) a developer should be able to make a UNR version of almost any theme regardless of which flavor of Ubuntu they are running. It just requires devoting a little more time to altering the standard version of the theme.

And yes, you are correct there are only limited amounts of people using Netbook Remix, but that number is growing, and growing rapidly. The same could be said of Kubuntu or Xubuntu, but that doesn't keep theme developers from producing themes for those versions either, does it?
    Last edited by Katalog; August 10th, 2009 at 01:40 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

It's not really an excuse, just a fact. Many people don't develop themes for publishing, they develop themes for their own use and then publish the theme so others can enjoy it as well.

Keeping that in mind it's just normal that these people might not be willing to setup virtual machines or any other extra stuff to test the themes on other environments than what they actually use on their own systems.

That being said, most theme developers would likely be just flattered if you asked them to edit the theme to work with Netbook Remix. That would tell them that somebody is actually interested in the work they have done, which might give enough motivation to go through the extra work of actually doing the theme you want.

..or you can just do it yourself, since you are already running Netbook Remix and know how to do the required changes, and send the fixed version to the original theme's developer. Or release it yourself, as people don't usually have any restricting licenses on their themes.

Beans

It's not really an excuse, just a fact. Many people don't develop themes for publishing, they develop themes for their own use and then publish the theme so others can enjoy it as well.
    While it's true that many of them develop for their own use and then publish so others can enjoy (you can't tell me that there aren't many of them who don't also get off on positive votes on gnome look and accolades in the comments) wouldn't it benefit them even more by spreading their acclaim even further through publishing a UNR version as well?

That being said, most theme developers would likely be just flattered if you asked them to edit the theme to work with Netbook Remix. That would tell them that somebody is actually interested in the work they have done, which might give enough motivation to go through the extra work of actually doing the theme you want.
    If you read a few posts up, you'll find that I have done that, and do it often when I find a theme that I really like. It's actually worked for me twice. The developer of the "Warmth" theme was extemely accomodating, and the author of "BiMetallico" was quite gracious as well. Even the developer of the yet unreleased upcoming Karmic theme "Impression" has also informed he plans to make a UNR version at my request.

..or you can just do it yourself, since you are already running Netbook Remix and know how to do the required changes, and send the fixed version to the original theme's developer.
    I have done that to a few themes, and the couple that I submitted back to the original developers were met with dead silence.

Or release it yourself, as people don't usually have any restricting licenses on their themes.
    Now there's an idea. I've got one I'm tweaking right now that I may just upload when I'm satisfied with it. Thanks for the suggestion. But even at that, I'm only one person and pretty inexperienced when it comes to theme development, and that still won't fix the larger problem, although it may help a little.
    Last edited by Katalog; August 11th, 2009 at 12:58 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast