Thread: So you love food.... but can you cook?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

So you love food.... but can you cook?

If you can cook... I thought it would be a good idea to share some recipes.

I am PuertoRican, and if you know any about Puerto Ricans (And our brothers from the caribean) is that we know how to and love to eat roast pork.

Here is my recipe for a Roast Pork I have modified to suit my tastes of approval from tips handed down to me from different family members.

http://docs.google.com/View?id=dgthk8rk_12htjv63f6

Share whatever you like, veggies, Lamb, fish, etc... I'll give anything a try once since I love the kitchen
    OpenGEU 8.10 Luna Serena 64bit
    AMD Athlon-X2 6000+ / 8gb DDR2-800 RAM / Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-US2H / Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT / 640gb HD
    Acer Aspire 6530 : AMD Athlon X2 / 3gb DDR2-667 RAM / ATI HD3200 / 250gb HD

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: So you love food.... but can you cook?

I like cooking but I cant cook many things really. But I love this
    http://www.recipezaar.com/Italian-Ov...Potatoes-41312

it`s my fav (((:
    I killed hope,but you buried it....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm puerto rican too and I'm craving some roasted pork soooooooo badly right now. ;_;

As for cooking, my parents hadn't really taught me all that much yet. But I do know how to cook french fries, hamburgers, eggs (sunny side up and scrambled) and chewy cookies. Hoping to learn more from my parents.

Beans
    Hidden!

I like food and cook it as well, as summer jobs while in college, I worked at various restaurants surrounding NYC. I learnt a lot and later on applied to evolve my own recipes and methods.

Speaking of roast pork, the famous Lechon from Philippines comes to mind, its just too good and only a particular roast pork in Indonesia betters it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by racerraul View Post
    If you can cook... I thought it would be a good idea to share some recipes.

I am PuertoRican, and if you know any about Puerto Ricans (And our brothers from the caribean) is that we know how to and love to eat roast pork.

Here is my recipe for a Roast Pork I have modified to suit my tastes of approval from tips handed down to me from different family members.

http://docs.google.com/View?id=dgthk8rk_12htjv63f6

Share whatever you like, veggies, Lamb, fish, etc... I'll give anything a try once since I love the kitchen
    I like this. 150C is where I often cook meat.

Osso Buco

This dish has been a favourite of mine for many years.
    We have our own cattle so when a steer finds his way into the freezer there is always plenty of Osso Buco.
    I don't use veal for obvious reasons. This steer was 2 years old. In future I am going back to 9-12 months.

This dish is obviously all about the sauce, which largely means it is all about the tomatoes.
    This was at the end of summer here and there was a surplus of fresh ingredients to be found within 50 metres of the back door. I think there are about 9 different varieties of tomato in this, prepared a number of different ways.

Firstly we have the leftovers from breakfast.
    Sliced in half and sprinkled with dried and fresh herbs, garlic and olive oil and heated in a slow oven for a few hours.

Then I browned the meat in ghee in a frypan.
    I fried a finely chopped large onion and a leek and 3 large garlic cloves in olive oil in the pan I used to make the dish.
    After the meat was cooked I fried 2 finely chopped large carrots in the remaining ghee and ground cumin .
    Half a bottle of Coonawarra cabernet merlot and about a cup of beef stock, a teaspoon of powdered vegetable stock which I always use instead of salt as it is quite salty, another 6-8 finely chopped tomatoes, about 2 cups of cooked tomatoes (a thick sauce really) a large quantity of basil, a finely chopped uncooked large onion, 2 cloves of garlic and a sprig of rosemary.
    With some of the wine I blended 1 can of red kidney beans and 6 anchovies.

Just before it left the stove to spend 2 1/2 hours in the oven at 120C it looked like this;

Some comments.
    I like to have both browned and raw onion and garlic in the dish. They have distinctly different flavours when cooked in oil and water and I like both.
    I like to add legumes to my sauces. I find they not only add thickness but they improve the depth of flavour.
    This is the first time I have fried the carrots in cumin first. I like the result and will probably do it regularly from now on.

I served the Osso Buco with roasted potatoes and shredded beetroot and broad beans steamed in the pressure cooker with garlic and butter.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

omg... I clicked on the wrong thread

apt-get food
    Constant development is the law of life, and a man who always tries to maintain his dogmas in order to appear consistent drives himself into a false position - Mahatma Gandhi