Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Chrome be the default browser for Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Should Chrome be the default browser for Ubuntu?

Quote Originally Posted by danielrmt View Post
    Only Chrome got those spywares or Chromium also got them?
    Check for yourself, it's opensource stuff

@bodhi.zazenThaks for that info I completely neglected the nature of Chrome. It's essential if a Chrome-like browser is to be integrated into a default distribution. Hopefully Chrome can be introduced to the non-free repositories, or something similar, for those of us that like the spyware functionality

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
    3. Adblock is possible with Iron

http://www.srware.net/downloads/adblock.ini

Save that file in your SRW Iron directory (sorry, windows only at the moment) or use bfilter (bfilter is a proxy, but works with all browsers). bfilter is in the ubuntu repositories and you can import the adblock filter list (the same on e most people use on Firefox) via a "simple" script (although it does quite well without it):
    How exactly do you enable adblock on Iron in Windows?

Where is the SRW Iron directory?
    "Mind what you have learned. Save you it can." ~ Yoda

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheNosh View Post
    i fail to see how default software matters, it's all replaceable.

also the browser i would like to see will NEVER be default in Ubuntu because it's not open source (Opera)
    Default software matters, because it gets more attention than non-default software. Chromium is not yet mature, not even on Windows. But the future looks bright and there's an extension framework in the works since version 2.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dandis View Post
    Default software matters, because it gets more attention than non-default software. Chromium is not yet mature, not even on Windows. But the future looks bright and there's an extension framework in the works since version 2.
    gets more attention from who? canonical, or users?

if you mean canonical, that shouldn't really matter. they don't write the programs anyway and it would be hard for them to make a programme stop working in Ubuntu without screwing up pretty bad in general. if there attention made any difference to compatibility i would see a point, but as non default apps works just fine i don't see it as an issue.

and if you meant the Users, well what they pay attention is up to them i suppose, but they always have the choise to use whatever they want. firefox is the default web browser, but as i have a few other browsers that i like more i pay little to no attention to firefox. also when it comes to browsers in the linux world even the most oblivious know firefox, so even if it gets dropped from default for Ubuntu, i don't think it will lose much attention at all.

and of course, if you meant something else entirely please explain.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by 今幸福 View Post
    How exactly do you enable adblock on Iron in Windows?

Where is the SRW Iron directory?
    Program files

C:\Program Files\SRWare Iron
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Chrome is still in development. So it will take a while before it is comparable to Firefox.

Beans
    Distro

In short: No.
    In long: I don't see why we need to pull everything Google does. There are already plenty of good browsers (I use Firefox and Aurora - which comes default in Kubuntu).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by dentharg View Post
    In short: No.
    In long: I don't see why we need to pull everything Google does. There are already plenty of good browsers (I use Firefox and Aurora - which comes default in Kubuntu).
    Why should we use those good drugs.. chew on these dried cow droppings instead.. remember big pharma is evil.

Seriously, good software is good software. It's open and you can change anything you like, you can even spin it in the direction that most pleases you.

Let's decide this on the merits on the Chromium browser and not on hatred of it's origin.
    On strike during the Oneiric cycle due to ungratefulness of Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro

Nah, you mislead hatred with caution.
    Remeber first issues with Chrome's license where Google said explicitly "we want all your content copyright" (or something similar)?

Correct me if I'm wrong here.

Beans
    Distro

Btw. if everyone loved all the stuff about Chrome, there wouldn't be something like Iron which cuts out all the "reporting" stuff from Chrome..

And I am not a paranoid type, believe me I love what Google is doing in technical merits but sometimes a little bit is just too much. There are plenty of browsers and I don't see a single reason why Chrome should become default.

Hence my "No" to original question.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast