Thread: [HP Pavilion dv7-2185dx] Use windows sound card driver in Ubuntu?

Beans

[HP Pavilion dv7-2185dx] (SOLVED)Use windows sound card driver in Ubuntu?

To make a long story short, i got a new HP pavilion dv7-2185dx (System Specifications here) and as far as i can tell, everything is going great... But i have no sound. While booting into ubuntu, i can hear the speakers 'pop' a little, my only guess is ubuntu is probing them, but then not finding a suitable driver?

P.S. I am dual booting vista x64 and using 9.04 x64 ubuntu. Tried a 32 bit 9.04 live dvd, and again no sound. When i use the touch-sensitive volume control, it does show the volume changing. Just tried a sound file in the Examples folder, and the media control touch-sensitive play/puase, forward back, and stop all work. Just too bad i can not hear it. Headphones are a no go as well. Would also like to point out that gparted live cd version 0.4.5-2 managed to make a short 'blip' sound as i told it to reboot my machine. If gparted live can do it, then there has to be a way with ubuntu, right? Any way, any help getting sound to work would be great.
    Last edited by ramidavis; August 5th, 2009 at 07:26 PM.

Beans

Re: [HP Pavilion dv7-2185dx] Use windows sound card driver in Ubuntu?

Bump

I'm sorry, if this is in the wrong place, please let me know, or have a mod move it.

OK, so i found my answer, from this thread, first post.:
    The latest alsa-driver snapshot provides a fix for this issue. You can get it here:

ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kerne...napshot.tar.gz

After downloading and gzip/tarring the files, you'll need sudo privileges to:
    #> ./configure --enable-dynamic-minors
    #> make
    #> sudo make install-modules
    #> sudo vim /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base
    [add 'options snd_hda_intel model=hp-dv5' sans quotes to the bottom of the file, even if you have a dv4, etc.]
    #> sudo reboot

If any one else has this laptop, these steps should work for you.
    Last edited by ramidavis; August 5th, 2009 at 07:28 PM. Reason: SOLVED