Thread: Resolution with NVIDIA Quadro NVS 295 larger than monitor

Beans

Resolution with NVIDIA Quadro NVS 295 larger than monitor

Hello:

I have just installed Ubuntu 9.04 on a new Desktop (Dell Precision T5500) with graphics card 256MB NVIDIA Quadro NVS 295, DUAL MON, 2 DP. I have attached one flat monitor with 1920x1200 native resolution. I have activated the nvidia accelerated graphics driver (version 180). Using "sudo nvidia-settings" to access and modify settings, my monitor and native resolution are detected.

The problem I encounter is that the screen image is larger than the monitor, i.e. on all four sides (top, bottom, left, right), a chunk of the 1920x1200 resolution is not displayed. Is can be accessed by the mouse, though. This problem occurs both for the login screen as for my actual gnome screen.

I can sort of circumvent this problem by using "nvidia-settings" to change the resolution to 1680x1050 without rescaling, in which case I now have a black margin around my screen area.

Does anyone know about this problem and potential fixes?

Thanks,
    Ben

Beans

Re: Resolution with NVIDIA Quadro NVS 295 larger than monitor

I seem to have a very similar issue with my 9800 GT card and my two displays - a DVI 1280x1024 monitor and a 1152x864 VGA projector.

I haven't found the solution yet, but seems to me it's an NVidia driver issue because it happens when I have two displays configured at different resolutions

/see my other posting: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1231916/

Unplugging /NOT disabling/ the second one enables me to select the right resolution and have my monitor function properly. See if this works for you
    /I know this is NOT a solution at all/
    DESKTOP ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution, Intel Core I7 920 CPU @ 2.66 GHz, 12 GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 RAM, NVidia 9800 GT PCIE, 3x 500 Gb RAID SATA HDD, ViewSonic VX922, Acer X213w, Corsair TX750W PSU

Beans

Thanks for the info.

In my case, the problem occurs with just a single monitor.

I was wondering whether the type of connection could be a problem, but everything works perfectly under Windows.

Are there any known issues with the latest nvidia driver?

Thanks,
    Benni

Beans

bump (please help)

Beans

Yes, 99% it's a linux drivers issue. The worst thing is that there's nothing you can do about it but wait for somebody else to eventually solve your problem. I gave up the battle again /for the Nth time/ and installed vista - I'm able to watch TV now and my projector configuration works properly too.
    I'll give Linux another try in mid 2011 probably
    DESKTOP ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution, Intel Core I7 920 CPU @ 2.66 GHz, 12 GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 RAM, NVidia 9800 GT PCIE, 3x 500 Gb RAID SATA HDD, ViewSonic VX922, Acer X213w, Corsair TX750W PSU

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Talking Re: Resolution with NVIDIA Quadro NVS 295 larger than monitor