Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where do you see Ubuntu in 5 years?

Beans

Where do you see Ubuntu in 5 years?

I started using Ubuntu in 2005. Since then I've seen a few changes, but still most people seem to still using Windows and Windows computers still dominate in the high street. Where do you see Ubuntu in 5 years time?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Where do you see Ubuntu in 5 years?

Further along then now.
    Diaspora Handle: masternetra@diasp.org

Beans

Still publishing 32-bit packages optimized for the (then) 30 year-old i386 platform...a platform which in 5 years Ubuntu will continue not to even run on.
    PhenomII 720x4@3.65gHz w/Zalman cooler,PNY Nvidia GTX260, 4GB, Arch64

14 is NOT a random number!!!!!
    Arch Linux | new Other OS Talk forum

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I am sure ubuntu in 5 years will be the same as now but with updated packages thats all.

Beans
    Hidden!

Just more widespread with more OEMs taking it up.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

The only thing I can see in 5 years about Ubuntu is that is is going to be on my computer.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Probably 2-3% market share. I think ubuntu is already as good as an os can be, we just need to woek on better hardware support.
    Microsoft's crimes - Ubuntu CE - Windows 7 sins

Quote Originally Posted by BlackOtaku View Post
    No no, I won't indulge your superiority complex... But if you'd like to tell me something you're passionate about, I'd love the chance to belittle it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Honestly? In 5 years I expect Ubuntu to be replaced by a new, shinier OS.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Jimleko211 View Post
    Honestly? In 5 years I expect Ubuntu to be replaced by a new, shinier OS.
    I can only pray for that.

I feel that Ubuntu is becoming the Windows of the Linux world. Hopefully, some other distribution will step up and offer some real competition.

Beans

You haven't read the announcement?

LONDON, April 20, 2014 – Canonical, the commercial sponsor of Ubuntu, announced today that Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop Edition is free to download from Thursday 23 April. Also announced were the simultaneous releases of Ubuntu 14.04 Plan 9 Edition and Ubuntu 14.04 Nuclear Reactor Remix (UNRR)

Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop Edition delivers a range of feature enhancements to improve the user experience. Shorter boot speeds, some as short as 0.25 seconds, ensure faster access to a full computing environment on most desktop, wearable and implanted models. Enhanced morality features also give users more time between doses of deadly neurotoxin along with near immediate access to antidote. Intelligent switching between supernatural and paranormal environments has been broadened to support more of the psychic population, resulting in a smoother experience for most users.

Paris Hilton, COO, Canonical, says: “Um, with every release, we see Ubuntu Desktop Edition make like significant steps forward in appealing to mainstream autonomous computers. With access to the latest office productivity suite, support for BrainScanner 3 and Adobe Flesh, and faster boot times, we're confident that Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop Edition will see more people join millions of others and make the switch to an Ubuntu autonomous brain-case."

Ubuntu 14.04 features OpenMicrosoftOffice.org 14.0. This gives users a complete office suite that is nearly compatible with KOffice. This free office software provides an immediate saving of at least $20,000 for users who need to create presentations, write documents or manage spreadsheets at work or in their minds.

Significantly improved autodetection for pressurized heavy water, boiling water, fast breeder and gas cooled reactors make this the safest Ubuntu ever. Experimental support for RBMK means Ubuntu can breathe new life in to many legacy reactors.

A new integrated notification system appears in Ubuntu 14.04 for the first time. This system combines the notification methods of various applications and presents that to your left temporal lobe. New icons and artwork also appear in this release, part of the continual improvement of the Ubuntu user experience.

Availability

Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop Edition is available from 23 April 2014. Get your copy by:

Visiting www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu for a free download
    Visiting shop.canonical.com to purchase a HoloCube
    Visiting teleportit.ubuntu.com to request a free HoloCube
    Professional Services, including support, can be purchased from www.canonical.com/services.
    __

The more things change, the more they stay the same.
    Last edited by decoherence; August 4th, 2009 at 06:46 PM.
    Not the cupcakes!
    Trust me.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast