Thread: rsync and permissions driving me nuts

Beans

rsync and permissions driving me nuts

I'm trying to backup users' Maildir folders from the mail server to an on-network backup server. I want cron to launch every day a process that grabs them, incrementally updates the destination, and just parks them in one place so then I can further go offsite with them. But I'm constantly getting stopped by permission violations of one kind or another. I'm logged into the server as user ns02-temp, and my current command is:
    rsync -av 192.168.10.24:home/jrm/Maildir/* /home/ns02-temp/testbackup/jrm
    and the system returns:

receiving incremental file list
    rsync: mkdir "/home/ns02-temp/testbackup/jrm" failed: No such file or directory (2)
    rsync error: error in file IO (code 11) at main.c(594) [receiver=3.0.5]
    But there IS that directory, and the permissions are wide open. It makes no difference if I set the options to -av or anything else. Also, if I delete the "jrm" directory, it won't create it.

I've tried to run rsync with sudo but then it asks for root password on the source machine which of course I can't supply.

I'm sure there is something very simple wrong here, and I keep hearing that rsync is very simple and great, but I'm stopped dead. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: rsync and permissions driving me nuts

Can you post the output of?
    Code:
    ls -ld /home/ns02-temp/testbackup/jrm

Beans

OK, so I'm officially blind, the directory was test-backup, not testbackup, which goes to show you that if you look at something long enough, you'll see what you expect to see, especially after about 8 hours.

What I also had to do was to create a "backup user" on the mail machine, and add this user as a member of the group of each of the Maildir directories, "apply to the enclosed files", and then it has access to them all. If I don't do this, the source machine throws an error that my user has no access.

I assume that there's a way to get the ssh password to be auto-inserted into the script when I get it written, I'll have to look at that. But at least I can get to the files.

Thanks for prying my eyes open.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

You could use TAB autocomplete to autocomplete filenames while working at the command prompt.