View Poll Results: What do you think of the idea of dropping icons in gnome buttons, menus?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like it better without icons

16 27.12%
  • Please don't remove the icons

18 30.51%
  • I don't care actually, will not affect me too much

10 16.95%
  • They should fix the problem the icons have instead of getting rid of it with

15 25.42%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GNOME To Drop Icons in Buttons, Menus

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: GNOME To Drop Icons in Buttons, Menus

gnome should do whatever is best to make the interface more simple and attractive at the same time.
    I think they should make it user friendly and limit the use of the terminal.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

It's easy to switch back for people who prefer that. Personally I would like to spend a bit more time with my setup in this configuration before I make up my mind entirely.

The biggest issue I see with this is dyslexic users, now that one can no longer associate an icon with an action reading and having good translations becomes even more important than it was already. I know my ex-girlfriend e.g. will have a lot harder with such an interface.

It does save space and bring things more in line with what other OSes does as well and it looks a bit cleaner I guess and it removes idiotic metaphors like a diskette for "save" which still is the default for many iconsets (I haven't seen floppy in years.. does anyone still use them?)

The best thing though is that it removes a lot of colors of the interface, all those icons makes it hard to let a menu feel professional and slick rather than what a 5 year old with a set of crayons could do if you turn you back for a few minutes.
    On strike during the Oneiric cycle due to ungratefulness of Ubuntu.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gnomeuser
    The biggest issue I see with this is dyslexic users, now that one can no longer associate an icon with an action reading and having good translations becomes even more important than it was already. I know my ex-girlfriend e.g. will have a lot harder with such an interface.
    Smells like a good bug report.

Quote Originally Posted by gnomeuser
    and it removes idiotic metaphors like a diskette for "save" which still is the default for many iconsets (I haven't seen floppy in years.. does anyone still use them?)
    Toolbar buttons, where the diskette icon is prevalent, are unaffected.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by wersdaluv View Post
    Interesting.

Just text *may* be better than the other to choices. Let's test.
    I've been doing the same: knowing it might grow on me if I just kept using for a while, and it has -- I really like plain buttons. Icon-less menus however ....
    Step inside your soul
    Find that place at its best
    On which to be whole,
    And apart from the rest.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by 23meg View Post
    Toolbar buttons, where the diskette icon is prevalent, are unaffected.
    I, for one, would actually love to see those get changed at the same time, maybe morphed into menus like Windows 7 is doing. It just makes sense. The current role of toolbars is ridiculous; most of them just provide common functions like Save / Print / Zoom / Undo which are already put in common places in the menu which is right above the toolbar. It's all a bit of a mess.
    Last edited by Mr. Picklesworth; August 6th, 2009 at 04:05 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12