Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: upload from a non-ubuntu machine?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

upload from a non-ubuntu machine?

is this doable? say i'm at school, working on a windows machine, i've got to go, so i save my work, but i lost my flash drive and need to work on this project at home. can i upload my saved work from the said windows box at school? i'm hoping that if my home machine was running while i was at school it(my home desktop) and ubuntu one would sync-> my saved project will be there waiting for me to pick up where i left off at school.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: upload from a non-ubuntu machine?

The simple answer is no. There is no Windows client yet.

I read your post before reading this thread. If you os of choice is not supported, you can roll your own.
    Last edited by cariboo907; August 3rd, 2009 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Additional information

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

no Windows client yet and i hope that no one make's one.There is dropbox and a few other that will work on both leave ubuntu one for ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro

web interface?
    WARNING: "sudo rm -rf /" = BAD Read this for more information.
    Q6600-Abit IP35-2 GB RAM-250GTS 1GB

*Docky FTW!*

Beans
    Distro

i'm not looking for a client software for windows (the thought of it makes me sick), i was wonder if via the web interface i could upload a file or two.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

You need the client to create an Ubuntu One directory otherwise it won't work, I just tried it on XP running in a vm.

Ubuntu One is similar to Dropbox and other services, you need a client for your os in order to use the service.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    You need the client to create an Ubuntu One directory otherwise it won't work, I just tried it on XP running in a vm.

Ubuntu One is similar to Dropbox and other services, you need a client for your os in order to use the service.
    i assume that you tried it via the web interface.
    i find it odd that i can download to a winbox, but only upload from a linbox.
    this is supposed to be cloud-computing, right?

please for give me if i sound ungrateful, i truly appreciate the generosity that is ubuntu one and ubuntu in general.(i hope that didn't come out sarcastic sounding, i've been having trouble with that my whole life.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

We don't have immediate plans to port the client to other platforms, but the client is free software so others are free to have a go.

The intended way to access your files on systems that don't have the client installed is through the web interface. If that doesn't work for you, then please file a bug report at https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubunet/+filebug. Describe what you were trying to do, and include information about any error messages received.

I don't know if much testing has been done with Windows based browsers, but Firefox will likely give the least troubles since it acts essentially the same on Windows and Linux.

Beans

Uhh i uploaded a bunch of music files from my windows machine to it. I have my linbox sitting at home with the client running. I'm at work and I uploaded through the web interface.

I'm not sure what you guys are talking about as I can do it from windows 2000.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by martin saint martin View Post
    i assume that you tried it via the web interface.
    i find it odd that i can download to a winbox, but only upload from a linbox.
    this is supposed to be cloud-computing, right?

please for give me if i sound ungrateful, i truly appreciate the generosity that is ubuntu one and ubuntu in general.(i hope that didn't come out sarcastic sounding, i've been having trouble with that my whole life.)
    You can upload files by using the web interface from any platform (Win/Mac/Lin).
    Install the U1 client on your Ubuntu box and set it up (you have to do this to get access to the web interface).

Work on your documents at school and once you are finished upload the via the web interface to U1 service. Your Ubuntu box will be auto synced with the new files.

You can test this by uploading a file from your Ubuntu box via web interface and watch it get synced by the U1 client.

Hopes this helps.
    WARNING: "sudo rm -rf /" = BAD Read this for more information.
    Q6600-Abit IP35-2 GB RAM-250GTS 1GB

*Docky FTW!*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast