View Poll Results: Do you use a lightning arrestor?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I arrest lightning!

4 19.05%
  • I'm considering it.

3 14.29%
  • Not sure it's useful.

4 19.05%
  • Nope, I believe in lightning freedom.

10 47.62%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lightning arrestors.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Lightning arrestors.

I don't have anything special. Trip-switches by the fusebox. But also underground power cables, which makes me pretty safe methinks.
    "All people are scum. No matter what they look like." ~ Spider Jerusalem, Transmetropolitan #4

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by koleoptero View Post
    That's what they say for coils (or however they're call in english?).
    I think this is what we call inductors. Instantaneous voltage changes would require an infinite current. Lightning is pretty close though since it is so fast,but here is a good explanation of both coils and caps with respect to voltage changes.

http://www.mounttaylor.com/ref/elect...n-voltage.html

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Talking Re: Lightning arrestors.

There is a pepper tree 30 feet from my kitchen window works great as a lightning rod it has been hit three times in 9 years. It does make a mess of the tree though.
    M

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by nubimax View Post
    There is a pepper tree 30 feet from my kitchen window works great as a lightning rod it has been hit three times in 9 years. It does make a mess of the tree though.
    M
    Ouchies.
    Jill has left these forums due to ongoing double-standards in rule enforcement.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by nubimax View Post
    M
    Poor tree, it just has such bad luck. For heaven sakes get a lightning rod installed that goes higher then the tree and give the poor tree a break. Its ancestors after all are a large part of the reason we and all the other animals can live on land. I mean they did terraform it. I swear no respect for that which supports us...
    Last edited by MasterNetra; August 4th, 2009 at 04:09 AM. Reason: Wrong qoute >.<
    Diaspora Handle: masternetra@diasp.org

Beans
    Hidden!

While I do have battery backups on all my critical gear in my house, I voted for Lightning Freedom because I wasn't aware Lightning ever broke the law, ergo attempts to arrest Lightning would probably result in charges of false imprisonment or unlawful detainment. We've already got enough idiots clogging our court system; the last thing we need is lightning entering into it like a bolt out of the blue.
    Have you ever found something in the second-to-last place you looked?
    If it seems like I am ignoring you, perhaps I am.
    world:~ mike$ rm -f /earth/united_states/washington/redmond/M$ █

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTheC View Post
    While I do have battery backups on all my critical gear in my house, I voted for Lightning Freedom because I wasn't aware Lightning ever broke the law, ergo attempts to arrest Lightning would probably result in charges of false imprisonment or unlawful detainment. We've already got enough idiots clogging our court system; the last thing we need is lightning entering into it like a bolt out of the blue.
    TARDIS avatar, Xanth reference, and literalist humor.

"Mom?! Can I keep him? I promise to feed him and change his litter box. Promise!"
    Jill has left these forums due to ongoing double-standards in rule enforcement.

Beans
    Hidden!

I think HavocXphere got it right. We have a metal chicken on the roof and for added protection a horseshoe over the door...

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by JillSwift View Post
    TARDIS avatar, Xanth reference, and literalist humor.

"Mom?! Can I keep him? I promise to feed him and change his litter box. Promise!"
    Oooh! Oooh! And I have all my original Lego Moon legos, too! (In a box somewhere...)
    Have you ever found something in the second-to-last place you looked?
    If it seems like I am ignoring you, perhaps I am.
    world:~ mike$ rm -f /earth/united_states/washington/redmond/M$ █

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123