Thread: What causes laptop screen to become so "light" randomly, and lose most color?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

What causes laptop screen to become so "light" randomly, and lose most color?

If I give it a light smack, it seems to return to normal, but what should I look for? The screen randomly gets very "whitish" almost like without color. This is the gazv4 laptop.How do I diagnose the problem? I took a screenshot when it was "whitish", but when I looked t the screenshot later when the screen seemed fine, the screenshot seemed fine as well. (It also got darkish once almost too grey but only once). Most of the time it was fine. Should I be worried and saving for repairs? How much more average life does the gazv4 have?

Thx,
    Ricardo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: What causes laptop screen to become so "light" randomly, and lose most color?

It sounds like your screen is on its way out. Personally I'd just replace the whole laptop since screens have a habit of being fairly pricy.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: What causes laptop screen to become so "light" randomly, and lose most color?

Ah. Screenshot won't help you much here. It takes a picture of what the computer is sending to the display, not what the display actually looks like. You'd need to take an actual photo with a decent camera to capture that.
    gila

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Yeah, if bumping the screen has an effect on it, it's probably either your LCD or your LCD wiring.

You might want to remove your battery and ac adapter and make sure the memory and hard drive are well-seated, though. Sometimes if they come loose, it will have an effect on the graphics.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans
    Distro

Great advice as usual. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction

Beans
    Distro

Out of curiosity, does system 76 do these types of repairs?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Yes, but only on System76 machines.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC