Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: HOW TO: Remove PulseAudio and Install ESound (ALSA)

Beans

Re: HOW TO: Remove PulseAudio and Install ESound (ALSA)

woodmaster: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...73/comments/11
    Ignore what it says about the mixing. Just grab the gnome packages from the PPA I linked to in the last post, and the classic GNOME volume control/mixer will be available on the next boot (you may have to re-add the 'volume control applet' to your panel).

Beans

Hello there guys,

I have a small question..don't shoot me for it..I read the big title but still this is the only relevant thread
    I'm using the NxServer - NxClient combination...that forwards display, sound, etc from the server to the "terminal" which can run on Linux/Windows/etc.

The bad part..is that NxServer requires ESD installed (it's running it's own ESD process from which it forwards sound) and if it doesn't receive anything there it won't get me any sound.

Does anyone have any good tutorial on replacing Pulse with ESD on Ubuntu 9.10 ?
    I've done so far removing, purging pulseaudio, configuring gstreamer-properties, placing the packages from https://launchpad.net/~dtl131/+archive/ppa (but with partial luck..I only got the volume control to appear).
    With all these..totem player the default player for example still goes with something other then ESD and no sound can be heard.
    Also I can't configure the distribution sound theme as I'm having no more menu for that.

Can I ask for some kind and patient help ? other than a RTFM as I'm already banging my head against the wall.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Temüjin View Post
    Ok, for those running GNOME in Karmic without PulseAudio, who want their volume control and media-keys back: https://launchpad.net/~dtl131/+archive/ppa
    At last! I had an issue with skype in pulseaudio (the sound was horrendously buggy and the external mic on my Acer Aspire 1 did not work) which made me just remove the whole thing (pulseaudio, I really need my skype); thanks for the help to get my volume controls via hotkeys back.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by simplyw00x View Post
    What exactly is the benefit of uninstalling Pulseaudio? It works fine for me, and you haven't mentioned either what benefits you think it will give or what features you will definitely lose.
    i've just found this thread useful, because i play "warsow" (first person shooting game) and when i listen music (in any player using pulseaudio) and playing that game, the sounds in game often stops and i there's a problem to turn off that game (i have to pres Ctrl+Alt+F4 , type killall warsow_bin) so this is very useful ))
    HP Elitebook 8540w, 10.10, Wacom PL-720, HTC DEsire HD, AFAD BA/SK...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Smile Re: HOW TO: Remove PulseAudio and Install ESound (ALSA)

Contented with this thread...Now I use ALSA over pulseaudio....smoother than the latter...no loop stucks...!
    I always count on my UBUNTU

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234