Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: owned?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

owned?

so, i'm sitting at my computer (dell inspiron 530 running jaunty) yesterday morning surfing the web, and a message pops up saying "your computer is being controlled remotely by another user" or something like that. my initial thought is "whatever, just a glitch." then windows start moving around on their own and whoever or whatever it is starts typing a URL in a browser window. i panic and shut down my computer.

i did have "you must confirm each access to this machine" deselected in remote desktop preferences, since i sometimes use vnc to remote into this desktop from my laptop. i selected it and haven't had whatever happened yesterday morning happen again.

however, this morning, right when starting up some music in totem, i had a bunch of weird empty windows with the ubuntu help center icon (the little life preserver on the upper-left corner in a standard ubuntu install) start coming up. they rapidly got up to over fifty, so i panicked and shut down again.

i've been (rather naively, i guess) complacent about security in the last two years or so since i moved to linux. i mean, i run all updates, set passwords on things, but that's about it. have i been owned? how would i know? what should i do to prevent whatever is happening, and to fix any security holes i've got now? i've got a base image of this machine that i built in clonezilla...should i reimage in case i've got root kits or back door vulnerablities or something like that now?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: owned?

From what you have described, yes you have been owned. Any box that is believed to be compromised should be re-imaged is my thinking, because you can never trust that system.

When you reinstall the system, be sure to set up a password for remote viewing and select the box for you to confirm a remote session.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

My suggestion to you is to reinstall the whole system and the next time use better firewall configuration in which only trusted ip's are allowed through the netfilter. You can also try network and host intrusion detection systems. Also before reinstalling copy all the logs from this system so you can better see what has happened. Hopefully the hacker didn't had time to change them.
    Ubuntu and FreeBSD - The Best!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I would reboot while not connected to the network, go into the vino-preferences, disable remoted desktop, shutdown, reconnect network, and continue as normal, and see what happens.
    "Security lies within the user of who runs the system. Think smart, live safe." - Dr Small
    Linux User #441960 | Wiki: DrSmall

credobyte is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I would definitely go for a clean install .. compromised system can never be enough secure to leave it as it is.

Beans

If you're using an ADSL modem you have the possibility to use an inbuilt firewall in your modem. That's way better security than relying on some software firewall to fix your security.

As what have been suggested already, have proper routines in how you're handling your passwords, never write them up on some paper and never let them appear in any of your e-mails, be a bit paranoid about security and you'll have less trouble on your next Linux system.
    Debian 11 "Bullseye"
    HP Envy 2021 laptop
    Linux user since 1999.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

thanks for your advice everyone. i think i'll reimage, as most of you suggested. one quick question, one of you suggested copying my log files. what's the best way to do that?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Wow, not good mate

On this matter, how does one ensure that remote viewing / access is turned off?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by kg84 View Post
    Wow, not good mate

On this matter, how does one ensure that remote viewing / access is turned off?
    Hi kg84.

Click system> administration> login window> remote.

Make sure remote access is disabled.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I learn something ubuntu everyday.
    dell precision T7500 1Tb hdd x 2
    2.67 Ghz intel xeon X5550 cpu
    nvidia quadro fx 4800-1.5 Gb video card

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by hansdown View Post
    Hi kg84.

Click system> administration> login window> remote.

Make sure remote access is disabled.

Hiya hansdown.

Sorted.

Thanks (again)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast