Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chainloading TrueCrypt with GRUB2

Beans

Re: Chainloading TrueCrypt with GRUB2

Quote Originally Posted by sq377 View Post
    For anyone still looking, I think I found a simple solution.

How to make grub2 boot an iso
    I couldn't get that to work, but I have solved this. I installed grub and removed grub2

Beans

f**k grub2!

if grub 2 is so great with its new features why cant it boot the truecrypt rescue disk iso?

it it not possibe? the is the vmlinuz and squasfs stuff for linux images and i really dont know how to setup grub2 for the truecrypt iso. no solution and someone here saying its not working???

wtf!

where is truecrypt writing its bootloader exactly?

can someone tell me a solution to get beack to grub1 and chainload truecrypt mbr like i did before... i experienced problems with this and i wread grub1 to sda and sda1 maybe because of that.

why did they put in f***ing grub2 in ubuntu now? and wtf are they thinking not even asking for install of grub2 o the live install disk (only alternate install cd asks for grub2 to be installed)

now i see that grub2 can boot isos from harddisk i really like to use it! but i dont want to truecryt boot leader chainload grub2 when i press esc i want to default boot in my linux with grub2!

i wread about a solution for grub1 chainloading grub2 but ubuntu deinstalls grub2 on grub1 package installation. its a mess. the hole concept of boot leaders on harddisks is! it should be taked away from the harddisk and bios should handle bootloaders
    Last edited by nico23; October 3rd, 2010 at 12:51 AM.

Beans

I got this to work by getting grub2 to boot the TrueCrypt rescue ISO. However, the above link isn't exactly what you need.

1. Copy the rescue ISO to /boot
    2. sudo apt-get install syslinux
    3. sudo cp /usr/lib/syslinux/memdisk /boot
    4. Add /etc/grub.d/40_windows_truecrypt:
    #!/bin/sh
    exec tail -n +3 $0
    # Windows with TrueCrypt
    menuentry "Microsoft Windows" {
    insmod part_msdos
    insmod ext2
    set root='(hd0,msdos3)'
    linux16 ($root)/memdisk iso raw
    initrd16 ($root)/truecrypt.iso
    }

Step 4 will add the entry whenever updating grub. You'll have to modify some of this to fit your situation. Such as the (hd0,msdos3) partition is your /boot, and the numbers start at 1.

Hope this helps.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by double1116 View Post
    I got this to work by getting grub2 to boot the TrueCrypt rescue ISO. However, the above link isn't exactly what you need.

1. Copy the rescue ISO to /boot
    2. sudo apt-get install syslinux
    3. sudo cp /usr/lib/syslinux/memdisk /boot
    4. Add /etc/grub.d/40_windows_truecrypt:
    #!/bin/sh
    exec tail -n +3 $0
    # Windows with TrueCrypt
    menuentry "Microsoft Windows" {
    insmod part_msdos
    insmod ext2
    set root='(hd0,msdos3)'
    initrd16 ($root)/truecrypt.iso
    }

Step 4 will add the entry whenever updating grub. You'll have to modify some of this to fit your situation. Such as the (hd0,msdos3) partition is your /boot, and the numbers start at 1.

Hope this helps.
    Thank you, but that doesn't work for me. Every time I try booting Truecrypt, grub tells me "you have to boot the kernel first".
    Anybody got this to work? If so, what may I be doing wrong?

Thanks in advance

Beans

double1116's instructions worked for me overly worded details below. Sorry for spelling it out, but I really hope this will help save somebody the headaches.

I have an 80G hard drive. I installed windows vista on the 1st 50G, then ran TrueCrypt to encrypt it and install the truecrypt bootloader. When crypting, truecrypt spits out an iso image of it's rescue disk, which I saved on a USB stick & CD. I labeled it truecryptDesktop.iso.

I then installed Ubuntu using the Alternate CD. I used the partitioning section to create a 400mb ext3 format partition designated as boot. I used the partitioner to use the remaining space for an encrypted partition. When the encrypted partition showed up, I formatted it as a logical volume. Then I used the logical volume manager to create two partitions in the logical volume: 4gigs formatted as "swap", and the rest formatted as ext3 and designated as the root file system.

When I finished formatting and installing ubuntu, I logged into ubuntu (it had re-written the MBR, so windows was no longer available).

using disk manager, I found out which partition was my 400mb boot partition. My boot partition was the 3rd partition, sda3.

I created a directory in the filesystem directory called MyMount, and mounted sda3 into this folder.

sudo mkdir /MyMount/
    sudo mount /dev/sda3 /MyMount/

I then copied the truecryptDesktop.iso recovery image and memdisk to sda3.
    (executed from the desktop in terminal, where I saved truecrypt.iso from my USB stick).

sudo cp truecryptDesktop.iso /MyMount/
    sudo cp /usr/lib/syslinux/memdisk /MyMount/

I checked that the files were copied correctly by looking in MyMount, then unmounted the volume.

sudo umount /MyMount/

I needed to tell Grub2 that there is another option. I opened up the file 40_custom, where the custom entries are looked for by grub2.

sudo gedit /etc/grub.d/40_custom

This is what it looked like after I edited and saved it:

#!/bin/sh
    exec tail -n +3 $0
    # Vista TrueCrypt
    menuentry "Truecrypted Vista" {
    insmod part_msdos
    insmod ext3
    set root='(hd0,msdos3)'
    initrd16 ($root)/truecryptDesktop.iso
    }

I said "insmod ext3" because that was the filesystem type of my boot partition. I said (hd0,msdos3) because my boot partition is on sda (hd0) and is partition 3 (msdos3).

I needed to alter the grub defaults so that it would actually show me the boot options, which you can otherwise do by pressing/holding shift at boot time. I figured out how to alter the /etc/default/grub file by reading the Grub2 doc:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Gr...b%20%28file%29

The only thing left to do was to refresh the grub2 system files:

sudo update-grub

When I restarted, "Truecrypted Vista" was a boot option, and when selected displayed the same menu as available on the truecrypt rescue iso CD.

Yes! finally works after trying so many things and wasting so many hours. Thanks double1116!

Here are two other useful pages that helped me figure this all out (they use grub, not grub2, so it was only a starting place):
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=761530
    http://www.steve-oh.com/blog/index.p...ith-truecrypt/

Beans

my bad. it works now. i had the wrong partition. had to write msdos2 instead of msdos3…

Beans

Ok after reading the long explaination I got it working now, too. Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Uborted View Post
    double1116's instructions worked for me
    For me too! Thx for the instructions! But there is a little problem with the rescue iso: everytime I select my windows partition the truecrypt bootloader gives me the following error:
    Code:
    "it appears you are creating a hidden os. is this correct (y/n)"
    If I press "no" the regular boot screen appears and I can enter the passphrase. Does anybody know how to disable the message?

Beans

thanks everyone for the instructions on this. i was able to get this working but, like MrPotter, i'm getting the question about creating a hidden os every time i boot win7. has anybody found a way around this?

Beans

Hi
    I'm trying to set up multi-boot with Windows and Ubuntu on:
    dev/sda1 Windows (encrypted)
    dev/sda5 Logical partition, ext4 Ubuntu not encrypted, size:100GB (at about 100GB into the drive, if that matters)

I tried:
    menuentry "Windows 7" {
    insmod part_msdos
    insmod ext4
    set root='(hd0,msdos1)'
    linux16 (hd0,msdos5)/boot/memdisk iso raw
    initrd16 (hd0,msdos5)/boot/truecrypt.iso
    }

memdisk keeps telling me something like: bootstrap too large to load...

by the way, I don't care if it's Grub2 chainloading TrueCrypt bootloader or the other way around, but TrueCrypt doesn't seem to find Grub2 if I install it to /dev/sdb2 or /dev/sdb5...I can't install it on /dev/sdb1 I guess.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast