Page 11 of 543 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111511 ... LastLast

Thread: Guide to Get the Best Performace from the GMA 500

Beans

Re: Guide to Get the Best Performace from the GMA 500

So, I've followed all these directions pretty closely and they've worked for me, for the most part. The only problem is that the directions to get compiz working didn't work. I think I might possibly know what the problem is though. When I was going through the directions provided in the link for Ubuntu 9.10 I came to the part where I needed to edit the "xorg.conf" and being on a freshly installed 9.10, I didn't have one. I found the command to create it, but it wouldn't let me run the command because xorg was in use and I couldn't figure out how run the command with out having the xorg server running, so I just created my own file and used the contents that I was given in the walkthrough.

Doing this I was able to fix my resolution so that it runs at the native 1366x768 (I'm on an Acer AO751h) and glxgears now gives a decent 1300 frames in 5 sec. as opposed to about 100+ before. But I can't enable the visual effects and I can't use Blender, even when I run it using "LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1 blender"

So how do I get xorg to generate its own xorg.conf file?

I'm still pretty beginner in the technical aspects of Ubuntu. I've been using it for over 2 years, but its always worked pretty well for me out of the box, until I bought this new netbook.

Thanks for all the help.

russki_drewski

Beans

System: Acfer 11.6" w/poulsbo graphics A0751h [dang you Costco for making such a tempting prize... ;-]

What once worked for others, now appears to be broken, or maybe it is just me. Followed the most recent directions, and they seem consistent in their results - psb-kernel-source looks to be broken. Everything looked good [I did have to manually add a couple of packages], but everything blows up when grabbing the kernel source. Here is the error:
    Code:
    psb-kernel-source is already the newest version.
    The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
      libva1                                                                       
    Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them. 
    [snip - unable to remove libva1 because psb-kernel-source fails to build ;-]
    Building module:
    cleaning build area....
    su nobody -c "make KERNELRELEASE=2.6.31-14-generic LINUXDIR=/lib/modules/2.6.31-14-generic/build DRM_MODULES=psb"....(bad exit status: 2)

Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 2.6.31-14-generic (i686)
    Consult the make.log in the build directory
    /var/lib/dkms/psb-kernel-source/4.41.1/build/ for more information.
    dpkg: error processing psb-kernel-source (--configure):
     subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 10
    Errors were encountered while processing:
     psb-kernel-source
    DKMS make.log for psb-kernel-source-4.41.1 for kernel 2.6.31-14-generic (i686)
    Sat Oct 31 22:59:31 PDT 2009
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.31-14-generic/build  SUBDIRS=`pwd` DRMSRCDIR=`pwd` modules
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14-generic'
      CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/psb-kernel-source/4.41.1/build/drm_auth.o
    In file included from /var/lib/dkms/psb-kernel-source/4.41.1/build/drmP.h:93,
                     from /var/lib/dkms/psb-kernel-source/4.41.1/build/drm_auth.c:36:
    /var/lib/dkms/psb-kernel-source/4.41.1/build/drm_os_linux.h:54: error: conflicting types for ‘irqreturn_t’
    include/linux/irqreturn.h:16: note: previous declaration of ‘irqreturn_t’ was here
    make[2]: *** [/var/lib/dkms/psb-kernel-source/4.41.1/build/drm_auth.o] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [_module_/var/lib/dkms/psb-kernel-source/4.41.1/build] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14-generic'
    make: *** [modules] Error 2
    I am dead with just terminal access, so if someone can steer me around this error, much appreciated. Understand if a bug is being worked on. I can reload it and skip the vid upgrade until things are better...

netbook remix worked perfect on the Acer 10.1"

Beans

Okay, I figured out how to run the Xorg -configure command. I restarted in recovery mode (by holding shift at startup) and ran the command.

The file was put in "/root/xorg.conf.new"

I copied it to "/etc/x11/xorg.conf" and I made the appropriate changes and I still cannot enable the System>Preference>Appearance>Visual Effects>Normal.

Does anyone know what I need to do?

I mostly want this to work because I would really like to use blender on this machine. In its current state, when Blender draws to the screen everythings all wacky. When I try to have it run using software rendering (see my above post) it doesn't change anything. ???

If someone knows what to do, I would be much obliged.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

These instructions worked for me :

http://ubuntu-virginia.ubuntuforums.....php?t=1253406

They were given to me on my own GMA 500 thread :

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1274343

Thank you Marko Helenius
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans

See? The missing link! Grab the "right" poulsbo-kernel-source. I was real close, but the soiurce error stumped me. Thanks!

I am reading the entire post, but it look like the first .deb downloads are the correct path. Sweet.

I'll report back as soon as I know anything...

Beans

Hey, how did I get my egrep id back? I thought it was lost. Sweet ;-]

Beans

O... M... G... it worked. The res is exact on the Acer A0751h, and the framerate seems very snappy. I will do some testing later. I was not able to get this beast into recovery mode, so I grabbed the ppa install script from a terminal window as root [sudo] and rebooted. Spooky first time to see if it would grenade. Piece 'o cake. Ya'll rock.

Now, do I enjoy the view for a bit before I do this all again on the 16GB SD card? Runs fine, but a bit slower booting and starting apps. Without a disk sucking power, the A0751h should run for like 4 hours on battery... [led backlit display is supposed to extend the life by ~2 hrs alone].

A big thanks to all who worked on this. This is an amazing little machine now.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pirkster View Post
    System: Acfer 11.6" w/poulsbo graphics A0751h [dang you Costco for making such a tempting prize... ;-]

What once worked for others, now appears to be broken, or maybe it is just me. Followed the most recent directions, and they seem consistent in their results - psb-kernel-source looks to be broken. Everything looked good [I did have to manually add a couple of packages], but everything blows up when grabbing the kernel source. Here is the error:
    Code:
    psb-kernel-source is already the newest version.
    The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
      libva1                                                                       
    Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them. 
    [snip - unable to remove libva1 because psb-kernel-source fails to build ;-]
    Building module:
    cleaning build area....
    su nobody -c "make KERNELRELEASE=2.6.31-14-generic LINUXDIR=/lib/modules/2.6.31-14-generic/build DRM_MODULES=psb"....(bad exit status: 2)

Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 2.6.31-14-generic (i686)
    Consult the make.log in the build directory
    /var/lib/dkms/psb-kernel-source/4.41.1/build/ for more information.
    dpkg: error processing psb-kernel-source (--configure):
     subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 10
    Errors were encountered while processing:
     psb-kernel-source
    DKMS make.log for psb-kernel-source-4.41.1 for kernel 2.6.31-14-generic (i686)
    Sat Oct 31 22:59:31 PDT 2009
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.31-14-generic/build  SUBDIRS=`pwd` DRMSRCDIR=`pwd` modules
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14-generic'
      CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/psb-kernel-source/4.41.1/build/drm_auth.o
    In file included from /var/lib/dkms/psb-kernel-source/4.41.1/build/drmP.h:93,
                     from /var/lib/dkms/psb-kernel-source/4.41.1/build/drm_auth.c:36:
    /var/lib/dkms/psb-kernel-source/4.41.1/build/drm_os_linux.h:54: error: conflicting types for ‘irqreturn_t’
    include/linux/irqreturn.h:16: note: previous declaration of ‘irqreturn_t’ was here
    make[2]: *** [/var/lib/dkms/psb-kernel-source/4.41.1/build/drm_auth.o] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [_module_/var/lib/dkms/psb-kernel-source/4.41.1/build] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14-generic'
    make: *** [modules] Error 2
    I am dead with just terminal access, so if someone can steer me around this error, much appreciated. Understand if a bug is being worked on. I can reload it and skip the vid upgrade until things are better...

netbook remix worked perfect on the Acer 10.1"
    I have the same problem with same error message. It was working well with 9.4, but after upgraded to 9.10, it uninstalled libdrm-poulsbo. When I installed libdrm-poulsbo back, it uninstalled whole a lot of thing... ended up losing xorg.

Beans

Hi everybody,
    I updated from 9.04 to 9.10 and followed these instructions:
    http://swiss.ubuntuforums.org/showth...1253406&page=5
    (see post from Lucazade, #45)
    and everyting is working. I have compiz running and a very good performance. Glxgears is reporting more than 1,000 frames.

Thanks everybody for continuos support and instructions.

Beans

ssombra,

What machine are you using? (Netbook? Which make & model)

Page 11 of 543 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111511 ... LastLast