Results 5,421 to 5,425 of 5425

Thread: Guide to Get the Best Performace from the GMA 500

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: Guide to Get the Best Performace from the GMA 500

Quote Originally Posted by at0msk View Post
    I tried 10.04 on an Inspiron 1100 and had an awful time with the display driver. For some reason I thought trying 12.04 on an Inspiron 1210 mini would be different. But here we are again: black screen on boot and jumping through tons of unnecessary hoops to get something that just barely passes as a display. This. This is why Ubuntu is just going to stay low-man-on-the-totem.

During the installation I only had a small rectangular display in the corner of the screen that constantly flickered and ghosted everything. DURING THE INSTALL. This should never be. 12.04 *looked* enticing but now I see it's the same clunky crap wrapped up in a different colored bow.

** I've edited grub and changed the default line. I can boot up now w/out the black screen but I still have to enter the console via ctrl alt F1 and enter "sudo service lightdm restart" to get to a normal desktop. :\
    Yea, you have to upgrade to a higher kernel. 3.3.4 or higher is working. Feodra 17 works out of the box.

Ubuntu 12.10 will work out of the box as well.

I suggest you file a bug report so that 12.04.1 works.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
    Yea, you have to upgrade to a higher kernel. 3.3.4 or higher is working. Feodra 17 works out of the box.

Ubuntu 12.10 will work out of the box as well.

I suggest you file a bug report so that 12.04.1 works.
    12.04 was just released in April o0. I don't get why I would have to immediately jump to another kernel. Fedora 17 isn't out or it doesn't appear to be looking over the project page.

"WOW." is all I can say at this point. Just, "WOW." I know that DELL is the main culprit here, I get that their proprietary hardware and lack of support is what's at fault here but still..."WOW."

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by at0msk View Post
    12.04 was just released in April o0. I don't get why I would have to immediately jump to another kernel. Fedora 17 isn't out or it doesn't appear to be looking over the project page.
    Because the problems you are experiencing with Ubuntu 12.04 are fixed in a new kernel. That is what new packages bring, bug fixes.

If you do not want to jump to a new kernel, use the grub options you were given.

But yes, both the gma500_gfx and the emgd require user intervention.

The gma500_gfx requires less effort and has less bugs.

Fedora 17 will be released in 2 weeks. You can download the RC if you like or wait 2 weeks.

http://lists.fedoraproject.org/piper...ay/000449.html
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
    I am going to ask the staff to review the status of the gma500.

I am uncomfortable with people advising to use the emgd driver on these forums as this is starting to involve packages outside of the default ubuntu repositories (ie custom iso , custom kernels).

The gma500 team [ https://launchpad.net/~gma500 ] does not have stable packages in the ppa for 12.04.

The forums are not for supporting this sort of custom stuff.

At a minimum, I think I need to ask those supporting the emgd to:

• Provide documentation.
    • Be sure to CLEARLY indicate this driver is experimental
    • Be sure to CLEARLY indicate that custom kernels and packages outside the official repositories are not supported.
    • Please do not "over sell" the emgd. The gma500_gfx has better performance.
    • Be sure to indicate when to use the emgd.

I really do not think we should be advising the emgd to new users, or advising it should be used "by default".
    FWIW - Staff sort of has had enough of the emgd and "holy wars" , and I have had enough of fixing broken emgd systems.

Last stable release from the gma500 team was Maverick , Ubuntu 10.10

https://launchpad.net/~gma500/+archive/ppa

gma500 team labels the driver as "Experimental" or "Development" for ubuntu 11.04 and 11.10. There are no packages for 12.04.

Posts outside of the gma500 team are considered off topic and are no longer supported here.

If you disagree with this decision, you are free to add it to the FC agenda.

Please don't kill the messenger

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

This has gone on long enough

We support gma500_gfx

Update: gma500_gfx support thread

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupp...eoCardsPoulsbo

If the gma500 team wish to contact the FC https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ForumCouncil

we would consider re-opening the thread.

Closed.
    Last edited by bodhi.zazen; May 21st, 2012 at 06:56 PM.

Page 543 of 543 FirstFirst ... 43443493533541542543