Page 3 of 543 FirstFirst 123451353103503 ... LastLast

Thread: Guide to Get the Best Performace from the GMA 500

Beans

Talking Re: Guide to Get the Best Performace from the GMA 500

Olaf (and everybody else with an 1101ha out there),

I had the same problem as you and run into the same errors.
    To get wifi up and running I install via an usb stick the kernel 2.6.30 or above. Everytime you re-install you start with this. I tried to fix for two days (nights) the GMA 500 driver below the kernel 2.6.30. No luck. No sleep, angry girlfriend.... all this mess.
    So just change the game. Fix the Wifi on the .15 kernel and then use the guide from sammyboy.

1) install the wifi drivers from Atheros.
    Here is a german guide I followed
    http://forum.ubuntuusers.de/topic/ub...eee-1101-ha/2/

But as it is the same issue with the 1008 there should be a lot of guides around.
    In this process you anyway get the 2.5.15 kernel and all backports modules.

2) install as described the GMA 500 driver. I personally made here the following small changes
    - I authenticated the key by
    sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys C6598A30
    - make sure the install the kernel source
    sudo apt-get install psb-kernel-source
    cheers
    Last edited by zefrane; August 25th, 2009 at 08:34 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: Guide to Get the Best Performace from the GMA 500

I have tried working with this driver to no avail. I can install it on Ubuntu and Fedora and it works fine.

What I would like to see is the driver and associated packages available as source, one that can be installed on other distros such as Arch Linux, Slackware, etc.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Thank you very much, It works fine in Packard Bell DOT.M SP001 with a 11,6" screen.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by zefrane View Post
    Olaf (and everybody else with an 1101ha out there),

I had the same problem as you and run into the same errors.
    To get wifi up and running I install via an usb stick the kernel 2.6.30 or above. Everytime you re-install you start with this. I tried to fix for two days (nights) the GMA 500 driver below the kernel 2.6.30. No luck. No sleep, angry girlfriend.... all this mess.
    So just change the game. Fix the Wifi on the .15 kernel and then use the guide from sammyboy.

1) install the wifi drivers from Atheros.
    Here is a german guide I followed
    http://forum.ubuntuusers.de/topic/ub...eee-1101-ha/2/

But as it is the same issue with the 1008 there should be a lot of guides around.
    In this process you anyway get the 2.5.15 kernel and all backports modules.

2) install as described the GMA 500 driver. I personally made here the following small changes
    - I authenticated the key by
    - make sure the install the kernel source

cheers
    Thanks for that. i will Update the Guide. Thats alot Easier for people. I Forgot about doing that.
    Dell Mini 10 - 10.10 GMA 500 Display in 9.04 and 10.10
    ASUS Laptop U57A - Xubuntu 12.04

Beans

Sammy I upgraded the kernal and I goofed up while im trying to make the psb work again...now i got every thing properly installed and xorg.conf is fine but its still not working!
    please dont tell me i have to go back and install old keranl

Beans
    Distro

Wink Thank you, thank you thank you...

This worked a treat on my new Acer 751h running 9.04 but stuck on Kernel -13. Finally, I have great video playback albeit not 1080P but that's no biggie for me.

Thanks once again for all you good work and clear instructions.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Thanks, the IgnoreACPI entry in xorg.conf seems to have fixed the hangs in X. Still no kwin effects, and kde system settings says compositing is disabled.
    The grub/kernel options in menu.conf don't seem to have change anything, at least on my Asus 1101HA.

Beans
    Distro

Question Re: Guide to Get the Best Performace from the GMA 500

I need compiz working but don't know if I have to modificate GRUB and compiz settings, and then modify the DRI options, or only change the DRI. Could anyone light me?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Ohrer View Post
    I need compiz working but don't know if I have to modificate GRUB and compiz settings, and then modify the DRI options, or only change the DRI. Could anyone light me?
    Follow the guide..

Depending on how much Memory you have is weather or not you need to modify your GRUB. if you have 2gb id say forgo that. If you have 1gb You will need to do Grub.

And as for DRI

If its turned off then 3d is disabled.

Also for those brave enough has anyone tried to venture outside the box..

add to xorg.conf

Code:
    Option "AccelMethod" "UXA"
    Make sure you dont have DRI set to OFF thought. else it defeats the purpose.

Performance regressions on Intel graphics cards

Users of Intel video chipsets have reported performance regressions in Ubuntu 8.10 compared with previous releases (252094). Many of the issues have been resolved in Ubuntu 9.04, but some remain.

Some users have found improved performance by using the "greedy" migration heuristic. This can be done by running "sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf", and adding Option "MigrationHeuristic" "greedy" to the Device section of your xorg.conf.

Alternatively, a new experimental acceleration architecture option, "DRI2/UXA", is available for Intel graphics users which our testing has found provides significant performance improvements in some cases, but has also shown risk of severe stability problems. You can opt-in to enable this by running "sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf", and adding Option "AccelMethod" "UXA" to the Device section of your xorg.conf. Users wishing to maximize stability should stay with the standard default acceleration method, "EXA".

/!\ In some cases this will lead to the graphical environment not starting at all or becoming entirely unusable. In that case, start into rescue mode or press Ctrl+Alt+F2 and log into the text console, and use sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf to revert the UXA option.

If none of the above helps, some users reported success with using an older driver version.
    Dell Mini 10 - 10.10 GMA 500 Display in 9.04 and 10.10
    ASUS Laptop U57A - Xubuntu 12.04

Beans

Thanks Sammyboy405

It worked on my Acer Aspire One AO751h (the 11" one) running the latest Linux Mint. It didn't work at first, then I noticed the comment about installing psb-kernel-source and all is good.

Suspend (actually resume) still isn't working. Has anyone been successful with that on an AO751h?

Thanks!

Adrian

Page 3 of 543 FirstFirst 123451353103503 ... LastLast