Thread: Guide to Get the Best Performace from the GMA 500

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: Guide to Get the Best Performace from the GMA 500

Quote Originally Posted by kidcommunist View Post
    Dear Ubuntu community,

I am not sure where I can post this, in fact I am not sure if I am allowed to post this; however, I have a pretty difficult situation on my hands as of now.

I will receive a Nokia booklet tomorrow- GMA 500 chipset as you know.

I am in medical school and I need this laptop to work so I can use it for school. I do not have much experience with coding but I am able to follow direction precisely.

I am completely overwhelmed with all the information and intelligence exchanged on these forums regarding how to make modifications in order to have a functional machine.

Which Ubuntu version will give me the most stable performance? What do I need to do in order to ensure that I do not destroy my laptop. I am not a gamer, I just need my machine to work transparently.

PLEASE HELP. And please excuse me if I violated any forum etiquette. Thank you all in advance.

Kidcomm
    Your best options, IMO, are either Fedora 17 or Ubuntu 12.04.

The "problem" with both is that they are still in beta, so there may be some bugs yet.

I would advise you try either xubuntu or the xfce spin of Fedora. You will need to re-start X (the graphical interface) after you boot.

Fedora - Ctrl-alt-backspace

Ubuntu - ctrl - alt F2 , at the command line run
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/lightdm restart
    You can fix that after you install by adding "console=tty1" to the grub options.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans

Been following this thread for a while and registered to say thank you to everyone sharing ideas! Thanks!
    I have a eee pc 1101HA that never quite worked and that's how I ended up here. Keep up the good work guys!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.brazen View Post
    Your best options, IMO, are either Fedora 17 or Ubuntu 12.04.

The "problem" with both is that they are still in beta, so there may be some bugs yet.

I would advise you try either xubuntu or the xfce spin of Fedora. You will need to re-start X (the graphical interface) after you boot.

Fedora - Ctrl-alt-backspace

Ubuntu - ctrl - alt F2 , at the command line run
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/lightdm restart
    You can fix that after you install by adding "console=tty1" to the grub options.
    I would follow this advice, and post back here if you get stuck anywhere. It should be working properly, other than the occasional bug from 12.04 being in beta. I have been running it for the last month or two, and have had no serious issues.

(IGNORE THIS PART)

bodhi.brazen, curious why you prefer the xfce version? Is it just because unity is not liked by everyone, or is there another technical reason?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by fanum View Post
    bodhi.brazen, curious why you prefer the xfce version? Is it just because unity is not liked by everyone, or is there another technical reason?
    Personally I am happy with both Unity and gnome-shell, but, I am guessing, xfce would *probably* give better performance.

I have no objective data (benchmarks) to support that hypothesis and there is nothing wrong with any of the DE.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
    Personally I am happy with both Unity and gnome-shell, but, I am guessing, xfce would *probably* give better performance.

I have no objective data (benchmarks) to support that hypothesis and there is nothing wrong with any of the DE.
    Got it, you are probably right. Thanks for the clarification.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Looks as if the bug squashers are looking for more info on the vt.handoff=7 issue.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/914311

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
    I have a similar problem. Where do I need to add that in grub options? I tried adding it in /etc/default/grub to the line

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="console=tty1"

Is that the right place for the option? I still get the black screen after rebooting even after doing that. Otherwise everything works great after doing the lightdm restart.

EDIT: JUST FIGURED IT OUT!

I had the wrong line. I needed to change the line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=”quiet splash” to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=”console=tty1”

Everything works great now. It is amazing what a difference a proper resolution makes!
    Last edited by 3rugger; March 27th, 2012 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Solved my own problem.

Beans

Re: emgd-dkms for Kernel 3.3?

Quote Originally Posted by tista View Post
    @Klaus,

At least I haven't yet...
    Because I'm waiting for the time when 3.4 future freeze had come... now linux-next's drm codes are under heavy developments, so I don't think now is the time to go...

After all, I would try for it ASAP...
    However you're welcome to commit those patches to us. In this time, I would check them out whether those could be approved or not... Since I'm now testing some patches for "cogl" on llvmpipe, Yeah seems a little bit busy for it....

Cheers,
    Tista.
    I made a patch that "just works for me", maybe you can do more with it. emgd 1.8 (the only "stable" version for my eeepc 1101ha yet) compiles unter Kernel 3.3.0 with this patch, and seems to run OK so far, apart from a few glitches that were also present in previous kernels.

Regards
    -Klaus
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro

Re: emgd-dkms for Kernel 3.3?

Quote Originally Posted by knopper1 View Post
    I made a patch that "just works for me", maybe you can do more with it. emgd 1.8 (the only "stable" version for my eeepc 1101ha yet) compiles unter Kernel 3.3.0 with this patch, and seems to run OK so far, apart from a few glitches that were also present in previous kernels.

Regards
    -Klaus
    Hi knopper1,

OK. I've tested it and seems to be built well against 3.3.0-999-generic Ubuntu mainline kernel... But unfortunately I'm living with EMGD-1.10, so I didn't do exams on running (means building test only).

So I've also committed it to our "emgd-fix" repository:

Code:
    emgd-dkms (1.8.0.2032-0ubuntu2~kernel.3.3~ppa1) oneiric; urgency=high

* Added patches for bulding against upstream kernel 3.3 series.
        - pushed by knopper1, and I polished them.
        http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=11799885&postcount=5188

-- Tista <address was hidden>  Thu, 29 Mar 2012 12:36:01 +0900
    I now applied this patch:
    emgd-dkms kernel 3.3 patch
    This could solve version control between 3.2 and 3.3 automatically, and even on lower kernel family, too...

And built binary package is here:
    https://launchpad.net/~gma500/+archi...7Eppa1_all.deb

If others could accept for this patch, I would commit it to main "gma500/emgd-1.8" repository soon... Anyway really thanks for your work on patchworks!!

Best Regards,
    Tista
    Last edited by tista; March 29th, 2012 at 05:12 AM.

Beans

Originally Posted by Tista
    And built binary package is here:
    https://launchpad.net/~gma500/+archi...7Eppa1_all.deb
    Hi Tista,

just to double check, would the package work on 11.10 having installed the 3.3 Kernel?

I have a Nokia Booklet 3G (GMA500), my plan would be to:

- install Oneiric
    using poulsbo.asd=1 psb_gfx.asd=1 options at startup

- install kernel 3.3

- install EMGD 1.8 from the PPA

- apply the package
    dpkg -i emgd-dkms_1.8.0.2032-0ubuntu2~kernel.3.3~ppa1_all.deb

- reboot

Would that make sense? Or it's maybe worth to try the EMGD 1.10?

Thanks guys,

blugeco

Page 519 of 543 FirstFirst ... 19419469509517518519520521529 ... LastLast