Page 50 of 543 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100150 ... LastLast

Thread: Guide to Get the Best Performace from the GMA 500

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Guide to Get the Best Performace from the GMA 500

Quote Originally Posted by Anfanglir View Post
    The Mandriva 2010.1 beta 2 released yesterday is the Free version, which, I belive, do not include proprietary drivers. Beta 2 of Mandriva One (with proprietary drivers) will be released on 3 of May. I'm hoping that release will have poulsbo support, since Blino have reported success in fixing these drivers:
    http://blino.org/blog/mandriva/poulsbo-xserver1.7.html

/ Anfanglir
    Very very interesting. I an going to eagerly anticipate the release of Mandriva one beta. Thanks for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by jbernardo View Post
    Mike, the difference is that Mandriva has xorg 1.7.x, has the packages in the cooker, and Lucazade and I have almost had success porting their patches to lucid. If you want to help, you're welcome.
    Well, I really don't know what I could do to help, as my xserver expertise barely borders on rudimentary. On the other hand, it looks like there is quite a gathering over in Italy, I mean, there is yourself, Lucazade, Alberto Milone. ... anyone else?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Installed mandriva beta (free version but all you need to do is add non-free repo's once installed) and currently updating, next step is to try and get psb working, will report back here

Beans
    Distro

Well managed to get the driver working, correct resolution (1366x768px) but couldn't get 3D and 2D was extremely slow. Will wait for the beta on monday with restricted drivers to see if it was just something I did

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by descendent87 View Post
    Well managed to get the driver working, correct resolution (1366x768px) but couldn't get 3D and 2D was extremely slow. Will wait for the beta on monday with restricted drivers to see if it was just something I did
    Did you add the cooker repository? I don't think the psb driver is in Mandriva main repository.

Beans
    Distro

Yeah installed the free version then added the cooker and non-free repo's, installed psb driver and all the other bits then rebooted. Resolution was set correctly but if I try to enable compositing I got a scrambled screen and 2D performance was worse than with vesa. Going to wait until tomorrows one version as I'm sure it was something I did and not the drivers

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by lucazade View Post
    Anyone who wants to follow up on this, here are the changes I made to Lucazade's sources:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6634890/sour...rnardo.tar.bz2

Expand Lucazade's tarball, then expand mine, and apply it as a diff. I've imported Mandriva's patches to xserver-xorg-video-psb, changed the rules file, and updated the sources from 0.31 to 0.32 from UNR. I've also added a Mandriva patch to libdrm, and finally changed the kernel drivers to have a psb and a psb-drm modules, so it won't conflict with the existing drm module, and with autoinstall enabled so it will rebuild when you update kernel. These changes were also imported from Mandriva.
    Unfortunately, it is still not enough. X won't start, even if the psb and psb-drm modules are loaded, as the /dev/dri entries don't get created. I've enabled debug for both modules, but there is no error in dmesg. I've also posted my Xorg.0.log. Any idea is welcome.

Beans

Ah, and for the people using the vesa driver, you can get 1366x768 by adding to /etc/grub.d/40-custom the lines that shaoxuan added to another thread:
    Code:
    insmod 915resolution
    915resolution 5c 1366 768
    set gfxmode=1366x768
    Then edit /etc/default/grub and add a line with "GRUB_GFXMODE=1366x768", then run "update-grub". On next reboot you'll have 1366x768 resolution in X, even if slow, at least it looks better.
    Works for me. No acceleration but have the right resolution and can suspend, hibernate and chvt with no problem.
    Enough for waiting the driver.
    Last edited by alfrenovsky; May 3rd, 2010 at 04:34 AM. Reason: Forgot to open the quote tag.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

alfrenovsky

Just tried it on my machine, works fine in Grub, but no effect in X, resolution is still stuck at 800x600. Could I be missing something? Changes in Xorg.conf perhaps, been trying but without success

--edit
    found my problem, T91 has resolution of 1024x600, just had to change it to get this working
    Last edited by Leed; May 3rd, 2010 at 08:57 AM. Reason: used wrong resolution

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Been following this thread for while and it seems to go in the right direction. Maybe if someone could point out which modules are causing problems, I'll try to help. Haven't got a lot of experience compiling kernel modules but I'll should be able to manage..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by alfrenovsky View Post
    Works for me. No acceleration but have the right resolution and can suspend, hibernate and chvt with no problem.
    I have an Asus 1101HAB, dual boot Lucid and WinXP. I tried alfrenovsky's fix and it sort of works.

First problem is that it makes WinXP unbootable. I don't understand the new grub well enough to solve this.

Second problem is that the screen reverts to 1024x768 after a suspend.

Page 50 of 543 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100150 ... LastLast