Thread: Guide to Get the Best Performace from the GMA 500

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: Guide to Get the Best Performace from the GMA 500

Quote Originally Posted by exobuzz View Post
    3d acceleration eg - xbmc and video acceleration
    OK, well good luck to you with that then as the open source driver will not do. I will be interested to see if you get it working.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by exobuzz View Post
    Cool, but Intel's page states that it works with Linux kernels 2.6.35 and 2.6.37?
    Is that enough for people here to be happy?

A

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
    OK, well good luck to you with that then as the open source driver will not do. I will be interested to see if you get it working.
    I just built xserver 1.10 packages from the latest emgd - testing right now on xubuntu 12.04 (kernel 3.2.16)

X loads ok and 3d acceleration/compositing works. (xbmc loaded now). 3d performance seems improved (could be my imagination though - but xbmc interface feels quicker)

vaapi is not working however - with the vaQueryDisplayAttributes function failing.

so now to try emgd 1.14 and xserver 1.9

oh and the framebuffer was corrupted on leaving X still.

Beans

well, emgd 1.14 for xserver 1.9 has crashed twice so far (once using mplayer vaapi and navigating ni xbmc). well tested driver!

Beans

Good news!!!

I have just updraded oneiric+emgd to precise+psb and now I was testing performance, 2d.... It works, but sometimes i see films in tv, so I prefer Emgd drivers (vaapi + resolution).

I was prepared to install emgd+xorg 1.9 with your indications and suddenly I see new version.

I will be waiting your tests and If you need a tester I could help you (I have 1101ha)

Thankssssssss!!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by pesv View Post
    Unity 2D To Go Away In Ubuntu 12.10

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTA5OTA

bad news...
    Sort of old news, llvmpipe would be the replacement. llvmpipe is working in both Ubuntu and Fedora, but is a little more polished in Fedora.

On my gma500, llvmpipe works, but there is a bit of a performance hit, and cpu use spikes. llvmpipe is in rapid development and will almost certainly be better.

Until then ...

Both XFCE and KDE work well with the open source driver.

Click for larger view
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans

Hey all,

To make the brightness stuff a bit easier I wrote a little piece of C that you can compile, put in your path, chmod suid then run to change the brightness as a regular user. You can find it on my github. Be warned: this script only works if you can change your brightness by changing the value in /sys/class/backlight/psb-bl/brightness since that's what the code does.

Read the readme for instructions and if you have any questions, comments or bugs, don't hesitate to post here or put them on github. Hope it's of use

Cheers, Sakartu

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mattrope View Post
    What kind of problems are you having? Could this be a libva version mismatch? The EMGD va backend driver is intended for use with a specific libva frontend version. I believe the backend driver included with the Meego 1.2 build in EMGD 1.10/1.14 is intended for libva 1.0.12, so you'll want to make sure that's the version you're using.

Also, you'll want to make sure you're not using the libva backend driver from the "Meego_Wayland" folder, since that one was built for a custom libva spin that had a lot of non-standard Wayland modifications rather than for a traditional X-based libva.
    Aha, that may well explain the problems with the new 1.14 driver mentioned above.

I am using the 1.10 driver from the ppa (this is I believe the experimental driver that works with xorg 1.10) with oneric.

This is with the stock libva drivers (1.0.12).

For the 1.14 EMGD we should downgrade libva?

Ferry

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
    The open source driver with kernel 3.4 works out of the box with Ubuntu 12.04 and Fedora 17. I have no need to downgrade xorg to maverick repositories or install patched packages.

I forget, what do you need the EMGD for ?
    Not sure about 3.4, but, as I wrote earlier, one that comes with 12.04 by default is slow even with XviD 720x304 video and flash video more than 240 even in window mode, plus "black screen after boot" problem not solved even after adding console=tty1.
    So for the moment I need EMGD to watch non-hd movies and I have nothing to see flash video in 360p or higher (don't tell me about addon that uses mplayer to watch flash video - it works not with all sites and it downloads full video before start playing it).

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by niop View Post
    Special Note for FlashVideoReplacer : i don't agree with the last post, the video are not downloaded completely before playing it ! it streams it as the regular Flash plugins, and works with most of the web video streaming ( dailymotion, youtube, etc )
    Hmm, need to check this, last time I tried it quite long time ago, about 1-2 years ago.
    But anyway, I'd prefer to play flash video "natively", and also it was a bad surprise since with 3.0.9 kernel that I've built myself 360p was fine, but now it's not with 3.2.4.

Page 541 of 543 FirstFirst ... 41441491531539540541542543 LastLast