Re: Guide to Get the Best Performace from the GMA 500
Brief Instructions for Precise on Acer Aspire One 751h...
1. Boot live USB session from USB stick (32-bit version)
2. Once booted and a half distorted screen is obtained, switch to console 1 (ctrl-alt-f1) and restart lightdm (sudo service lightdm restart)
3. Install as normal
4. At the end of the installation, reboot into recovery mode, enable write access to the file system (pick the fsck option) and select root access
5. edit with nano or vi (personal preference) /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf and blacklist acer_wmi
6. edit /etc/grub.d/10_linux and find the line containing "if "$word" == splash. Edit the next line to read:
7. edit /etc/default/grub and modify the default options as follows:
8. To enable suspend type "mv /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/99video /usr/lib/pm-utils"
9. Run update-grub
10. Reboot and enjoy!
This should leave you with a working system with great 2d performance, brightness control and suspend. The only drawback I can find is the lack of 3d or Xv acceleration which means full motion video is not possible (I need it for MythTV as I use this system as a frontend) - for that you will need to use EMGD and I suggest that this is best installed as version 1.8 under Natty (instructions on wiki) - Oneiric is a non-starter as kernels from 3.0 until 3.2 wont support suspend (in my view vital on a netbook).
If anyone has any different/better experiences please post.
Acer Aspire S3-951