Page 2 of 543 FirstFirst 12341252102502 ... LastLast

Thread: Guide to Get the Best Performace from the GMA 500

Beans

Re: Guide to Get the Best Performace from the GMA 500

Thank you so much for this fix. I have been searching for days for a solution, and none of the fixes that I have found in other threads have worked. Some have even crippled my computer beyond my ability to recover.

I am running 9.04 on a Dell Mini 12.

I did experience a DRM error after following the procedure (which included upgrading my kernel from .14 to .15 by enabling the pre-release {jaunty proposed} option in the update section of Sofware Sources)

After that I followed your instruction you provided and it worked, though at first I had some difficulty.

I used:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install psb-kernel-source
    In your version there is an (s) on the end, though I followed back up and found the package referenced above. I only point out this type because I am new to Ubuntu and (regarding Linux) follow instructions to the letter, and thought that other new users might run into the same issue due to their inexperience.

Again, thank you very much. This was awesome. I have a working computer again!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by crawlerzero View Post
    Thank you so much for this fix. I have been searching for days for a solution, and none of the fixes that I have found in other threads have worked. Some have even crippled my computer beyond my ability to recover.

I am running 9.04 on a Dell Mini 12.

I did experience a DRM error after following the procedure (which included upgrading my kernel from .14 to .15 by enabling the pre-release {jaunty proposed} option in the update section of Sofware Sources)

After that I followed your instruction you provided and it worked, though at first I had some difficulty.

I used:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install psb-kernel-source
    In your version there is an (s) on the end, though I followed back up and found the package referenced above. I only point out this type because I am new to Ubuntu and (regarding Linux) follow instructions to the letter, and thought that other new users might run into the same issue due to their inexperience.

Again, thank you very much. This was awesome. I have a working computer again!
    Thanks for the info. Ive corrected the Type-o

Ive got more Fixes Coming. I think ive got the Lock ups fixed. Gonna let it go one more day and I will post what I Did to fix the Lockups on USB while running 3d mode.
    Dell Mini 10 - 10.10 GMA 500 Display in 9.04 and 10.10
    ASUS Laptop U57A - Xubuntu 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

OK Im convinced this works. Ive done everything I can think of to get it to lock up. and it just wont do it.

to Run 3d with no lock ups you need to modify your xorg.conf

remove the DRI Option line

and add in its place

Code:
      Option "IgnoreACPI" "yes"
    Reboot or CTRL+ALT+BackSpace Reboot would be better.

And Let us know how it goes.
    Dell Mini 10 - 10.10 GMA 500 Display in 9.04 and 10.10
    ASUS Laptop U57A - Xubuntu 12.04

Beans

Re: Guide to Get the Best Performace from the GMA 500 IN KARMIC

Quote Originally Posted by s-tobe View Post
    is this procedure valid for netbook remix 9.04 on my asus 1101ha as well or for just plain jaunty j.

I tried this procedure on UNR 9.10 and it failed on install xserver-xorg-video-psb which was failing due to libdrm-poulsbo1. If I install the libdrm-poulsbo1 package the netbook remix and all other xserver packages will be removed. That seems to be destructive.

Is there a solution for Karmic in case the above answer is NO?
    i cant get it with cause something that seems close

Code:
    /$ sudo apt-get install libgl1-mesa-glx xserver-xorg-video-psb libdrm-poulsbo1 psb-modules psb-kernel-source psb-kernel-headers xpsb-glx poulsbo-driver-3d poulsbo-driver-2d
    (the above are the packages suggested by the how to AND some packages that apt-get said were dependencies that it was not going to install itself

output:
    Code:
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    libgl1-mesa-glx is already the newest version.
    psb-modules is already the newest version.
    psb-modules set to manually installed.
    Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
    requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
    distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
    or been moved out of Incoming.
    The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
      libdrm-poulsbo1: Conflicts: libdrm2 but 2.4.12+git20090806.d74c67fb-0ubuntu0sarvatt is to be installed
    E: Broken packages
    im reaaally not looking forward to downgrade or even to reinstall. so is there a solution? Or just wait till time will solve (and use windows in the meantime: it sucks, but works). but at least this post gives me a sparkle of hope. please tell me that its doable in Karmic...

Beans

Thanks so much for this.

I was keen to try Ubuntu on my new Acer Aspire One AO751H but having spent a couple of days banging my head off the slow graphics problem which rendered the OS all but unusable and getting nowhere, I was about to uninstall and setle for the pre-installed WinXP.

I followed your (excelent and clear) instructions, and behold - UNR is now snappy, responsive and looking very nice. No problems so far with using the USB ports either.

Thanks again - I've been listening to people banging on about Linux for years and never taken the plunge - now I see what all the fuss is about!

Cheers

Linds

Auckland, New Zealand

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I'm having trouble getting my GMA500 to work right it would seem. My firefox is still choppy and anytime I scroll or move windows around its quite laggy.

I'm running an Acer AO751h with xubuntu 9.04. I used Synaptic Package Manager to install the poulsbo drivers (both 2d and 3d, although I don't think I really have a need for 3d), and it installed all their dependencies as well. I double checked with the list of packages you had and made sure they were all installed as well and then I modified my xorg.conf accordingly. Still, no luck, its pretty choppy. I do however have my computer working at the native 1366x768 rather than the default 1024x768.

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong or what could be going on?

Beans

good instructions sammyboy405

i just tried out the editing tweaks of xorg.conf and grub/menu.lst on my Fujitsu u820, and I can confirm that it works, compiz runs with extra effects, glxgears gives me 260 fps, and Planet Penguin runs OK (but with a low framerate). I haven't used it long enough to judge if the setup is stable, but accessing a usb memory stick didn't cause any problems.

BTW, I still use .11 kernel, as .15 boots without a GUI on my machine

/ Anfanglir
    Last edited by Anfanglir; August 23rd, 2009 at 11:15 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Lightbulb Re: Guide to Get the Best Performace from the GMA 500 - AO751h specific config

Thank you very much for this help to activate DRI ( [quote=sammyboy405;7775498] )

I tried it with my Acer Aspire One 751 (AO751h), but it didn't work at the first time (without "nosplash") as I get problems with :

• sound
    • wifi (unable to connect to the netwok)

I need to add before the kernel line in the menu.lst file (804864=738*1024) :

Code:
     uppermem	804864

And now it works fine.

Beans

Hi all you netbook freaks!

If anybody could confirm that this will work with the asus eee 1101HA please write it here?

You who say that everything works fine, do you mean the whole system, sound, wifi, bluetooth etc?

How about help from the gma 500 chipset to play h264 movies? Are there support for this as well or are there possibilitis for this in the future?

/Axel Villamo
    Sweden

Beans

Hi !

(Sorry, english is not my mother-language)

Since two weeks I'm searching a possibility for the gma500 on my Asus Eee 1101HA.
    I followed this guide, but after that the netbook "crashed":

At first I have to upgrade my ubuntu 9.04 to kernel .31 because the wired+wireless LAN + WLAN did not work with earlier kernels I have tried.
    After upgrading to kernel .31 my LAN and WLAN works, so I was able to followed this guide. After installing the packages, after the reboot, the display is "black", no GUI. Nothing works, I have to shut off the netbook with the powerbutton.

I boot into the old kernel (by the way, there was a dri-error-message), de-installed / delete the new packages (psb a.s.o.) I have installed before (with the new kernel), and then I'm able to boot in the new kernel again.

Any idea?
    I there any solution for my Asus 1101? In this condition it is only for Windows or the trash.
    May I give you some informations for search&find the error?

bye
    Olaf

Page 2 of 543 FirstFirst 12341252102502 ... LastLast