Thread: Advice on xp/ubuntu on seperate machines with KVM switch...

Beans

Question Advice on xp/ubuntu on seperate machines with KVM switch...

Hi all.

I'm thinking of building a new desktop from scratch soon. I currently run Jaunty 9.04 (needs a bit more tweaking, but worlds better than Leopard or Vista!) on an old Dell 2400. I have tried wine for some of the games I like to play, but it seems game support is just easier with xp . I was wondering about installing xp onto this old Dell, with Jaunty on the new machine and using a KVM switch for the one monitor. I just figured that would be easier for multitasking than having a dual boot system set up.

Can anyone point me to a good thread or offer some advice? I looked for some already, but there was nothing too detailed. I'm fairly computer literate but details about other options (like Virtualbox(?)) and the pros and cons of this setup would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Beans

Re: Advice on xp/ubuntu on seperate machines with KVM switch...

I would recommend getting another monitor and use synergy to share the mouse and keyboard

Beans

Re: Advice on xp/ubuntu on seperate machines with KVM switch...

I currently have 2 machines, one with xp and the other with ubuntu. I used to have them at the same desk without a kvm. but now they are in separate rooms. kvms can be a pain if they stop functioning. you have to shut everything down, check all connections and boot the computers back up.