Thread: Have Firestarter start when I logon

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Question <SOLVED>Have Firestarter start when I logon

How do I have Firestarter start whenever Ubuntu is logged into, no matter what user logs in? If there's a better firewall, let me know about that too. Thanks!
    Last edited by zer010; August 9th, 2009 at 03:26 PM.
    HP Pavilion dv6, Core i3-3110M, 6GB RAM, nVIDIA Geforce GT 650M, 640GB HDD: Win7 / Xubuntu 13.10 64bit

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Re: Have Firestarter start when I logon

ufw - Uncomplicated Firewall is installed by default but not enabled. It's a better firewall. Here's a link to give you some more info and it automatically loads. Firestarter is the gui for ip tables

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Un...d_Firewall_ufw

Beans

firestarter is loaded as firestarter is just the easy user interface to iptables. the only reason you would need firestarter open at all times is to view the logs within firestarter. keeping firestarter open at all times, however, can be quite laggy.

ufw is a good solution. just 'sudo ufw enable' and it will be on. you can customize it very easily, for instance, to enable windows-networking. there is also something called 'gufw'.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Firestarter doesn't have to be running for you to be protected, iptables is always running and Firestarter just configure iptables. That's my understanding anyways, I haven't used Firestarter.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ad_267 View Post
    Firestarter doesn't have to be running for you to be protected, iptables is always running and Firestarter just configure iptables. That's my understanding anyways, I haven't used Firestarter.
    you are correct

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Firestarter is running at boot if you installed it from the repo's. The only part that is not running is the GUI. It's better to just start the GUI manually and then enter your password.

Decided to delete the howto on how to start the GUI at login it's not secure.

If you want to see the firestarter status type this in terminal

sudo /etc/init.d/firestarter status
    Last edited by ayenack; August 2nd, 2009 at 03:10 AM.
    The Other Ubuntu Search Engine touse
    Before following advice look at this.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Lightbulb Re: Have Firestarter start when I logon<SOLVED>

Very insightful. Thanks so much for the great feedback! I, so do love this community! I've been running Ubuntu exclusivly for a couple months, and I've never looked back, and NEVER will!!! Thank you everyone!!!
    HP Pavilion dv6, Core i3-3110M, 6GB RAM, nVIDIA Geforce GT 650M, 640GB HDD: Win7 / Xubuntu 13.10 64bit