Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu beginner - trying Ubuntu from cd...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Question Ubuntu beginner - trying Ubuntu from cd...

Hello. Been a while from the forums, since I couldn't get ubuntu to work on the family computer with cd, but now with my own computer with win xp, I wanted to try out the cd I made for ubuntu a while back (not sure of there is an updated iso, but I believe there is. I'll try this cd first I made, though, first). My own computer I got recently & so I got the cd & put it in. It loaded. Select English. Select 'try it'. It seemed as before on the other computer working. Then it when't past where the other computer did not. It showed orange/cream background w/ curser. Then it made a jingle sound (probably the ubuntu start jingle sound). Then the orange/cream changed to blank/black screen w/ curser still shown. Then the curser was loading in a circular loading motion. Then changed back to curser. Then nothing. Nothing else happen after that. As I have been writing this, the screen has not changed & no more jingle or other sounding.

So, what is the problem? How do I fix it? Will it help if with a new cd I get a new more updated ubuntu.iso? Please help if you can. Thanks & God bless .

Beans

Re: Ubuntu beginner - trying Ubuntu from cd...

If you use Gutsy then better option is to download recent Ubuntu version,because Gutsy is not supported anymore.Check md5sum after download and if it is correct burn iso on CD.After that check CD integrity and if it is O.K. go for install.
    There is no greater religion than a truth.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

How much RAM does the computer have? In my experience, you need at least 512 Mb (not including shared video RAM) for the liveCD to be smooth.
    He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
    -Thomas Paine

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by zvacet View Post
    If you use Gutsy then better option is to download recent Ubuntu version,because Gutsy is not supported anymore.Check md5sum after download and if it is correct burn iso on CD.After that check CD integrity and if it is O.K. go for install.
    Hmm... Ok I'll see about that.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxIBoy View Post
    How much RAM does the computer have? In my experience, you need at least 512 Mb (not including shared video RAM) for the liveCD to be smooth.
    Yes, my ram is more then good at 639Mb.

-----

Right now on my computer I am & have been doing memory check test. So far it says that pass complete, no errors, press Esc to exit. Right now it's doing other testing still. Do I need to wait till all is done & complete?

Beans

Do I need to wait till all is done & complete?
    I know it is time consuming,but yes wait until it is done.

Beans

I am a beginner and I just use live CD, because when try to install to Hard disk i get some error and i am unable to continue.
    What should i do for that...?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hi

For a better chance of helping you out we need some specs on the hardware: CPU, graphics adapter/video-memory (RAM onboard the graphics card) If your graphics card is an ATI based card you'd be better of with the alternate-install-cd.
    Ubuntu testing release

Ubuntu User # 15479
    Linux User # 448500

Beans
    Distro

I know it is time consuming,but yes wait until it is done.
    Oh. I had already exited it yestorday before all was complete. I didn't want to leave it on all night & I didn't get a reply yet then. But I'll probably do it again another time when I have the chance. I did, though before that testing, did the cd defect test, which gave no error for the cd. I may just with a new cd get the new Ubuntu iso or if better buy the cd.

Beans

Burn CD on lower possible speed.Sometimes that can be reason why you can not install.You don´t have to buy CD.You can order it here.

Beans
    Distro

Burn CD on lower possible speed.Sometimes that can be reason why you can not install.You don´t have to buy CD.You can order it here.
    Oh. Thank you . I'll see about that then, even if it may take 10 weeks, but it wasn't for installing Ubuntu, it was for trying it out by cd (Demo). God bless .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast