Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: If I were to buy a netbook

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: If I were to buy a netbook

The only bad thing (and it's not really that bad) is that the Aspire One comes with Vista Home Basic (but there's a Windows 7 Upgrade for it when it comes out)

Would I be better off buying it with Vista and then switch over to TinyXP?
    The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

We bought an MSI Wind for my wife, she's finishing up a Psych degree, lots of typing; she has no complaints on the word processing front. She was on an Asus Eee 8g, and she couldn't stand the keyboard on that one.

I liked the fact that MSI had already partitioned the HDD for me; indeed if we wanted to dual boot, windows was on a 30gb partition from the factory, and the rest of the drive was another partition, this would have made dual boot setup easy for a newer GNU/Linux system installer. We never use windows for school though, so I just blizted it and gave Ubuntu the entire drive.

I did weenie out and put a second hand intel 3495 pro wifi card in it, and while I had the case open I maxed out the ram to 2gb. With these 2 mods, it has been running 9.04 flawlessly, I may put the lpia kernel on there for her since she only has the 3cell battery though.

I was looking at Acer Aspire Ones at Wal-mart here about a week ago, they are dirt cheap, and from what I can tell, they look like they would run Ubuntu quite nicely. If I were to buy another netbook right now, I'd likely try the Acer.

GL and Enjoy, I personally think you'll be happy with either one.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Running Ubuntu & Xp off Asus EEEPC... it's already a year old but runs fantastic. The long battery time means I can literally work off at a cafe for the whole day. (almost) On Ubuntu, 2GB of RAM goes a long way.
    --
    Hack thyself.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Talking Re: If I were to buy a netbook

On my current laptop I installed Wubi and I have to say I am very happy =D

XP Pro and Ubuntu (or which ever flavor I want) on one computer without partitioning =D

I am very happy
    The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I'd suggest Asus EEE, i have the 901 model and everything worked out of the box, Ubuntu Jaunty installed.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm not a big fan of Acer quality even though they present a good value on paper.

I own an Asus eeepc that I've modded a bit and a custom MSI notebook, very pleased with both of them.

My 9" eeepc is a little too small to use for serious word processing. You should be able to get away with a 10" model though, the keyboard is just that much better.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

doesn't system76 have a netbook available?
    Ubuntu is not a mission. It is an operating system. If Windows or OS X works for somebody, good for them.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Phyxiis View Post
    What do you mean about the word processing? I'm sure they could handle OpenOffice on a 1GB RAM system

And I'm aware of the lack of a optical drive
    I've run OpenOffice on a 64MB system before.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Cam42 View Post
    doesn't system76 have a netbook available?
    Yes, but its wireless is flawed:
    Weak Wireless Performance with Starling

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123