Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Print to File Defaults

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Print to File Defaults

I searched for this but was surprisingly unable to find an answer.

How can I change the default settings of the "Print to File" option in the print dialog? I would like the default file type to be PDF instead of PS, and I would also like to change the default location. Please let me know how I can modify these settings. Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Print to File Defaults

Install CUPS-PDF in Synaptic
    it says - Documents are written to a configurable directory (by default to ~/PDF)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks oldfred. I've installed CUPS-PDF in the past, after it was no longer included in the distribution. However, I'm looking for a way to modify the settings of the "Print to File" option in the print dialog.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by dstein View Post
    ...How can I change the default settings of the "Print to File" option in the print dialog? I would like the default file type to be PDF instead of PS, and I would also like to change the default location...
    See post 2 in the following thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1043339

This worked in Hardy; I assume (but don't know) that this would also work in Intrepid.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

No, that didn't work in Jaunty 64-bit. Changed the values suggested, plus the page size in both locations, but the "Print to File" still defaults to ps file format, /user_name/ location, and most annoyingly, to US Letter size page of resulting [pdf] file.

Why is the whole pdf handling subject is almost totally ignored in Ubuntu? Solutions available are remarkably primitive and inflexible: CUPS-PDF with no file name and location choice, not to mention font handling, resolution, CMYK-RGB etc; "Print to File" with no apparent way to change default file type and location).

I think that PDF handling is a very important matter, especially for those of us, recently converted , who are accustomed to production and editing of pdf files of various quality/size/purpose - from pre-press to low-res for email etc. We really need something like Acrobat Pro for Linux

Still, on a more down to Earth note - lets get back to the OP question: how do we change the default file type and location for the "Print to File"?

Beans

I am a newbie thus might be wrong, but can't you change the end before you save it manually?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Camilia View Post
    I am a newbie thus might be wrong, but can't you change the end before you save it manually?
    Of course, you can. But that wasn't the question

Actually, I have found a way to do this (after a lot of digging and cursing)

Here's what I did (step-by-step, for someone like myself):
    1. In Firefox, type "about:config" in address bar
    2. Type "file" in Filter bar - you will see all your printers listed with option "Print to File"
    3. Change print_to_filename - output location/file_name.extension for ALL of your printers to be the same - your desired file type and destination, in my case: /home/user_name/Documents/web.pdf Changing this for just printer_PDF and printer_Print_to_File won't work (well, it didn't in my case).

While we're on the subject of printing defaults, here's how I corrected paper size (from US Letter to A4) for the pdf prints:
    1. Same as above
    2. In Filter, type "paper"
    3. Change print.postscript.paper_size from "Letter" to "A4"
    4. Further down the same page, there will be settings for all your printers in the format: print.printer_ABCD.print_paper_name - change "na-letter" to "iso-a4".
    5. If the values for paper width and height are wrong, correct them too - i.e. 210 and 297 instead of 215 and 279. In my case these values were correct, but Print to File would still print in US Letter size, until I changed those mentioned in No.4

Beans

Thanks; for me on Jaunty, running FF 3.0.15, I can change the default location only if I specify the file type as 'PDF'. In other words, specifying ~/PDF/mozilla.pdf works, but if I specify ~/PDF/mozilla.ps, FF ignores it, and defaults to ~/.ps.

Bizarre, and annoying.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Thanks a lot, davegk!

This had been driving me crazy for quite a while. The default behavior is something worthy of Microsoft, I hate to say.

Now I just wish we could get a better file browser built into the print-to-file command. The current one is fine if you want to print to a file in one of the default directories, but to print to another directory you first have to select "Other..." and *then* you can start browsing to the directory you want. Why can't it just be like Nautilus?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by davegk View Post
    Of course, you can. But that wasn't the question

Actually, I have found a way to do this (after a lot of digging and cursing)
    Excellent.

Now do it again for google chrome and it's variants.
    Fear is the mindkiller....
    The little death that obliterates...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast