Thread: Nautilus backgrounds, colors, and emblems

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Nautilus backgrounds, colors, and emblems

I have 7 personal partitions devise to store seven general subjects of personal documents, usually Wikipedia pages, and they are sub-divided into more specific subjects from there. And what I would like to do is designate the background color of each partition for browsing.

I have tried the "Background and Colors" app of the Edit menu, but I have never goten that stuff to work except, Emblems. What might I be doing wrong when trying to designate a folder with a specific background color or patteren?
    Ubuntu 14.04; AcerAspire AX1301-U1302

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Nautilus backgrounds, colors, and emblems

My understanding is that Nautilus control of backgrounds is on a user basis. Emblems are individualy assigned to folders and files. I do use different colors for my self as a user and for root when a folder is opened as administrator/root. Perhaps you can do what you want by having multiple user accounts that all belong to the same group with group access allowed.
    Thank a veteran -- George 8)
    Internet Coach & Writer
    Personal Blog -- 3 Joes' Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Yeah, I like that root/administrater idea, you have with the color backgrounds. Let me see if I can get that to work, at least. I don't know what I might be doing wrong - could it be anything with the themes?

Thanks
    Ubuntu 14.04; AcerAspire AX1301-U1302

Beans

Angry Re: Nautilus backgrounds, colors, and emblems

bad news for us all - colours and patterns only work in Icon view, not List view.

As 99% of people work in list view, it has taken me nearly 9 months to figure this out
    Annoying, to say the least. I get blinded at night by the bright background of the nautilus windows and it triggers flippin' awful headaches at 3am....grr

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by gord-s View Post
    bad news for us all - colours and patterns only work in Icon view, not List view.

As 99% of people work in list view, it has taken me nearly 9 months to figure this out
    Annoying, to say the least. I get blinded at night by the bright background of the nautilus windows and it triggers flippin' awful headaches at 3am....grr
    Have you tries compact view? Not the same as List but it displays more files in the window than other views and uses the background you like so much. I'm a member of your "1%" who thinks your polling data has been "climategated."
    Thank a veteran -- George 8)
    Internet Coach & Writer
    Personal Blog -- 3 Joes' Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Exclamation Re: Nautilus backgrounds, colors, and emblems

Hi!
    It is a serious bug.
    I submit bug report
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...us/+bug/670861
    Please subscribe if it affect you.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by fragos View Post
    My understanding is that Nautilus control of backgrounds is on a user basis. Emblems are individualy assigned to folders and files. I do use different colors for my self as a user and for root when a folder is opened as administrator/root. Perhaps you can do what you want by having multiple user accounts that all belong to the same group with group access allowed.
    No, background colors/patterns are stored for each directory. But the trick here is that you can only set the background for individual directories when using Nautilus in spatial mode (once set, the colors/pattern will show correctly even in browser mode).

Trying to do the same in browser mode will instead set the default pattern/color, the one that will apply to all directories that don't have a color/pattern individually set.

I have most of my directories color-coded, but then again I'm a great supporter of spatial file management and only occasionally use the browser mode, so setting window colors, sizes and locations on screen for each directory pretty much happens automatically for me.