Hi, I upgraded to 9.04 over the internet and it seemed to be problem free. On re-boot it asked for the encryption password, as it should, it accepted it and continues booting. [ there is an error after it cannot mount an unused drive but it's been like that for 6 months so nothing new ]. Up to this point all was as normal but when it tried to turn from text to graphics mode it just displays junk. After a further 5/10 seconds the sound of the system coming up is heard but there is no further change in the display. No sign of any mouse icon or anything meaningful.

CTRL+ALT+F1 - restarts and nothing changed.
CTRL+ALT+F2 - restarts and nothing changed
CTRL+ALT+Backspace - no response

what can I try?

-------

Booting from a 8.04 CD works fine, and using that I can access the internet and have written this. It's a dual monitor system but at the moment I would be happy to get it working in any way at all. It was all working under 8.04.

There is a driver here:
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx which I've put on a USB drive. At the moment I haven't been able to access the hard disk data from the CD boot, not sure why. It's not a password problem.