Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OMG... Python support in Netbeans 6.7 is freaking awesome

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: OMG... Python support in Netbeans 6.7 is freaking awesome

Java is perfectly fine with me. Netbean's Python plugin does have some rough edges to iron out. Considering it still in EA, its acceptable and its got tremendous potential. I'm looking forward to it. I favor FOSS.

EDIT:
    I checked the feature list of Komodo Edit. It appears to be just an 'editor' and not an 'IDE'. Doesn't even have a debugger. Its not fair to compare it with Netbeans & its Python Plugin.

EDIT(2):
    Checked out WingIDE (free version). Netbeans offers more features than WingIDE 'Pro' as part of its 'core' platform and supports more languages. Python is just one aspect of it. It doesn't even come closer to the capabilities of Netbeans.
    Last edited by kpkeerthi; August 3rd, 2009 at 08:06 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Quote Originally Posted by kpkeerthi View Post
    EDIT:
    I checked the feature list of Komodo Edit. It appears to be just an 'editor' and not an 'IDE'. Doesn't even have a debugger. Its not fair to compare it with Netbeans & its Python Plugin.
    Just me but Python is hardly a language that requires an integrated debugger. That's pretty low on my list of priorities.

EDIT(2):
    Checked out WingIDE (free version). Netbeans offers more features than WingIDE 'Pro' as part of its 'core' platform and supports more languages. Python is just one aspect of it. It doesn't even come closer to the capabilities of Netbeans.
    And yet Pro has the source assistant and Netbeans doesn't, which is pretty high on my list. So, no, it doesn't offer more. It offers less.
    Warning: Any code examples I write are probably untested and contain bugs. Do not execute directly. Look for intent, not accuracy, please!
    L.A.G. - Jobs Dissembles - 2010/4/29

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Greyed View Post
    And yet Pro has the source assistant and Netbeans doesn't, which is pretty high on my list. So, no, it doesn't offer more. It offers less.
    This one is the context specific function signatures and its doc string, right?

Beans

Thanks for the heads up. I will try it out. Currently using Aptana with Pydev which I like very much, but I enjoy trying new alternatives as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

This one is the context specific function signatures and its doc string, right?
    Yes. This isn't listed in the features of the plugin. In fact I have not seen it outside of WingIDE and I consider it one of the must-have features for coding because the other fuctions of most IDEs can be easily replicated by just opening another window. Having an on-the-fly reference into not only the language's functions/methods but your own program's functions/methods is not something that can be easily replicated by just opening another window.
    Warning: Any code examples I write are probably untested and contain bugs. Do not execute directly. Look for intent, not accuracy, please!

Beans
    Distro

Screenshot of Netbean's context-specific source assist and documentation viewer for Python. I find a debugger is inevitable in large projects.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kpkeerthi; August 3rd, 2009 at 08:40 AM.

Beans
    Distro

I have added the link to the plugin's wiki for those you may be interested in the list of currently supported and planned features.
    http://wiki.netbeans.org/Python

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Screenshot of Netbean's context-specific source assist and documentation viewer for Python. I find a debugger is inevitable in large projects.
    Those are calltips. Calltips = evil and not the same thing.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Greyed View Post
    Those are calltips. Calltips = evil and not the same thing.
    What is source assistant and what makes it not evil?
    EDIT: OK. I get the picture now. Netbean's Navigator does the job and is much cleaner. It provides a nicer graphical representation of the source, attributes and methods as against text description in Source Assistant. Nothing radical in source assistant IMO.
    Last edited by kpkeerthi; August 3rd, 2009 at 11:38 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

What is source assistant and what makes it not evil?
    EDIT: OK. I get the picture now. Netbean's Navigator does the job and is much cleaner.
    If by cleaner you mean hides the code underneath your current line, sure! I'll agree it's "cleaner". SA sits down in the corner, and doesn't obscure your code nor does it require you to hit a button to get it to do its magic. All you have to do is flick your eyes down and left when you need to. No obscuring relevant code.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast